Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1
luffytubby
macrumors 6502a

What will 802.11ac mean for the next Time Capsule and Airport Express?

When these devices gets updated, will my computers be able to take advantage of it, or do they also need to internally be updated for this new standards?

Also, do we know what sort of Wi-Fi increase we are going to get? I mean if the range is shortened, it seems kind of crazy.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
The new time capsule will be thinner, lighter, and have an aluminum unibody. lol
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:30 AM   #3
colshine
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luffytubby View Post
When these devices gets updated, will my computers be able to take advantage of it, or do they also need to internally be updated for this new standards?

Also, do we know what sort of Wi-Fi increase we are going to get? I mean if the range is shortened, it seems kind of crazy.
Until there are 802.11ac capable cards in your computer you will not be able to take advantage of any potential extra speeds from any future ac enabled networking equipment from Apple.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:01 AM   #4
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
On the contrary, a newer router will probably come with a faster, more powerful processor and more memory. It will likely have better quality of service management software and with Apple, one would hope better cooling capacity. (They HAVE been getting better).

It might not be a difference at all for 1 person and a couple of devices, but a whole family's household of devices and dealing with a neighborhood with a lot of competing wifi networks? Yea, more powerful controllers help!

I wonder if newer ones have better abilities at dealing with noisy signals...

Oh yea, and there's ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT in the storage controller department; accessing a hard drive connected to an AirEx isn't all that fast, even over wired connections, and a better CPU allows for a faster (or ooo.. dedicated) controller!

anyway! Just adding my two cents on that topic
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:21 AM   #5
colshine
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG4 View Post
On the contrary, a newer router will probably come with a faster, more powerful processor and more memory. It will likely have better quality of service management software and with Apple, one would hope better cooling capacity. (They HAVE been getting better).
That's a fair point and I agree but I was addressing the specific 802.11ac bit mentioned in the OP. All of the above can happen without implementing a new wireless standard.

Quote:
It might not be a difference at all for 1 person and a couple of devices, but a whole family's household of devices and dealing with a neighborhood with a lot of competing wifi networks? Yea, more powerful controllers help!

I wonder if newer ones have better abilities at dealing with noisy signals...
True, and its not just neighbors WiFi that is the issue, cordless phones and other gadgets can all add noise. Anything to find a quieter band to help improve coverage and stability is welcome.

Again these thing can be achieved through better software and hardware without implementing a new wireless standard. For example, there is significant difference between wireless performance of the 4th and 5th generation Airport Extremes.

Quote:
Oh yea, and there's ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT in the storage controller department; accessing a hard drive connected to an AirEx isn't all that fast, even over wired connections, and a better CPU allows for a faster (or ooo.. dedicated) controller!
This is the kind of thing that drives up prices but would be nice.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals