Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:38 AM   #326
Doggman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkmxkmxlmx View Post
Before anyone complains about this being here, I have been an iMac user for a long time now. The majority of my posts here on MR have been in the iMac section as well.

Yesterday I went ahead and ordered all the parts to build my own Windows desktop. I know, I should have at least waited until next month before I did, but I need something now and I was not going to be buying any of the current Macs. But while I have been checking this and other forums daily for bits of news on a *possible* refresh, it hit me. Why the hell am I revolving my life around a computer company? Especially one that doesn't seem to care enough about a loyal customers needs.

I am disappointed in the new iPhone, I am greatly disappointed in the new iOS update... and I could not be more disappointed in Apple's lack of respect for their non-mobile customers. Customers that have been using Macs for over 10 years. I also did not like Lion and think Mountain Lion is the worst version of OS X there is.

Combine all that with the fact that I just built a $1500 computer that will absolutely run circles in any configuration of a current iMac (and I am betting anything they are *possibly* about to release for that matter), and here we are.

I am not giving up on Apple completely. I will trial run this computer for a good half a year. If I really find it isn't for me, I can always sell the parts and return to the Mac fold... but for now, I just want to try something different.

Anyway, just my story of how Apple lost a potential iMac customer. I wholly expect the "cool story, bro"'s and the "good riddance" posts. But I just wanted to get it off my chest.
Grats on the new windows box. If Apple doesn't do something crazy with the next iMac I will be doing the same when the time comes to buy a desktop. How did the build go?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:41 AM   #327
iClive
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steventay View Post
i am windows user since day 1 and i thinking whether to get a new windows laptop or macbook pro
I switched from a Sony windows laptop to a MacBook Air about a year ago and have never looked back. At work I now have a Mac mini attached to SBS2011 network which works fine most of the time, but have parallels on board for the odd program that will only run on windows.

That's my experience but it all depends on your needs and preferences.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:18 AM   #328
rhinobean
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkmxkmxlmx View Post
Yesterday I went ahead and ordered all the parts to build my own Windows desktop
I did this in 2010 after owning the 2006 iMac previously, and here I am two years later on the iMac rumors page waiting for the 2012 edition of the iMac. Couldn't shift my gaming PC so I gave it to the GF, and I have had to save up from scratch for the iMac.

My experience, make what you will.
rhinobean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:54 AM   #329
mrmarts
macrumors 6502a

I am no longer a windows fan after joining the mac bandwagon back in 2010 but the new windows 8 on both my MacBook retina and iMac will be interesting to try as its a departure of the ageing os much like apple faces withs iOS today.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:23 AM   #330
goondocks
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinobean View Post
I did this in 2010 after owning the 2006 iMac previously, and here I am two years later on the iMac rumors page waiting for the 2012 edition of the iMac. Couldn't shift my gaming PC so I gave it to the GF, and I have had to save up from scratch for the iMac.

My experience, make what you will.
My wife forbid me from ever building another PC again. I haven't the patience or skill for such things. It wasn't a good day. Thankfully I know people who are good at this stuff.

PC should be built next week and $2,000 goes a long way in this world.
goondocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:24 AM   #331
njean777
macrumors 6502

I have both a macbook pro and gaming pc, the gaming pc is basically a 900$ oversized console. I never use it for anything other then games.
njean777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:44 AM   #332
masp84
macrumors member

We're gonna have to stick with apple

Macbooks are gonna be fine until they find the way to pack real power into a sot of iPad. I can foreseen a nicer keyboard dongle with ports in the near future and that's gonna be exiting for consumer computing. Tablets are defeating Laptops bit by bit and one day they'll fall. However it's different with the DESKTOP world, we're non mobile users (Producers, editors, programmers, developers) and that's what worry most of us. The release of Windows 8 (I assume it's not an eight but two stacked balls of cr4pp) is far from comforting, The OS layout is dumb and very unfriendly, it's like half-way touch-screen oriented just atrocious. I guess Apple is well aware of this and actually has a lot to thank to MS for this opening, also for not having to worry or hassle about refreshing Macs. Right now people looking for new PC's are gonna lean towards OSx GUI compared to w8, others are gonna have to hackintosh or stick to windows 7 until the dust settles. This is Jail.
masp84 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:51 PM   #333
Destroysall
macrumors 65816

I don't see it as a sort of crime to not like an iMac. It's not the greatest machine in the world and you should always get a computer that suits your needs better. My primary machine is a custom built Windows 7 machine and I love it. I have considered a new iMac or Mac Mini for a secondary desktop, but I don't think I'd make the "switch".
Destroysall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:22 PM   #334
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post
I don't see it as a sort of crime to not like an iMac. It's not the greatest machine in the world and you should always get a computer that suits your needs better. My primary machine is a custom built Windows 7 machine and I love it. I have considered a new iMac or Mac Mini for a secondary desktop, but I don't think I'd make the "switch".
Ummm.... 2 month old thread?

This dude decided DLL's and daily Nortan AntiVirus updates were better than an all-in-one OSX machine. Case closed.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:36 PM   #335
Board-modder42
macrumors newbie

Congratulations man! You finally realized you can build/buy a more powerful, sleeker PC for less than a Mac. Have fun!

Also, about the numerous comments on windows 8, I've been using it on the MS surface and in my desktop PC since the day it came out. Personally, I love the metro UI. And if you dot, then hell, use it in desktop mode for all I care. It makes it nearly the same as windows 7.
Board-modder42 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:45 PM   #336
torana355
macrumors 65816

Your loss, im loving my new iMac with the 680mx!!! Ive seen quite a few hardcore PC gamers that are seriously looking into moving over to Apple now that the iMac has a decent GPU.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:32 PM   #337
Gelite55
macrumors regular

Sucks for you. OS X is far superior to Windows. The only real reason to use Windows is for Server and Active Directory use.
Gelite55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:45 AM   #338
NVRENUF!
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to NVRENUF!
Change is as good as a holiday.

nothing wrong with trying the other side and seeing how it goes.

I have been a windows user since for ever, I bought my first imac (late 2011) couple months ago, then just got the brand new imac , house is converted.

I love it , how the design works for each person will be different though i like it.

I think i lost interest in windows once windows 8 came out.
Dont like it any more. Windows seems primitive now.

I also got tired of messy cables and towers and all that.

Love the all in one look and minimalistic view of the imacs,

any way good luck with your trial, let us know how you find it.
NVRENUF! is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:04 AM   #339
turtlez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRENUF! View Post
Change is as good as a holiday.

nothing wrong with trying the other side and seeing how it goes.

I have been a windows user since for ever, I bought my first imac (late 2011) couple months ago, then just got the brand new imac , house is converted.

I love it , how the design works for each person will be different though i like it.

I think i lost interest in windows once windows 8 came out.
Dont like it any more. Windows seems primitive now.

I also got tired of messy cables and towers and all that.

Love the all in one look and minimalistic view of the imacs,

any way good luck with your trial, let us know how you find it.
if 8 seems primitive why not just stay with 7? :P
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:21 AM   #340
NVRENUF!
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to NVRENUF!
Thought it would be a good time to try apple.

plus as mentioned in my post, wanted a change and wanted no towers and cables etc
NVRENUF! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:42 PM   #341
Slow Programmer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2621 View Post
Ummm.... 2 month old thread?

This dude decided DLL's and daily Nortan AntiVirus updates were better than an all-in-one OSX machine. Case closed.
Perhaps... Or maybe he wants to watch a Blu-ray movie or spend five minutes upgrading his HD anytime he wants to
Slow Programmer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:19 PM   #342
TennisandMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelite55 View Post
Sucks for you. OS X is far superior to Windows. The only real reason to use Windows is for Server and Active Directory use.
Not really. Which OS is "faster", has better graphics support, more flexible, works better with the Adobe suite, has more software choices, etc. etc. etc.?

It isn't OSX.
TennisandMusic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:24 PM   #343
davidjearly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
Not really. Which OS is "faster", has better graphics support, more flexible, works better with the Adobe suite, has more software choices, etc. etc. etc.?

It isn't OSX.
It isn't Windows.
davidjearly is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:03 AM   #344
4tune8chance
macrumors newbie

change

Sometimes we just need a change.
I have done the opposite i.e. been a PC user since the 386 and just got the new 21 Mac.
4tune8chance is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac