Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodlelegs

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
I recently went into a t-mobile store to ask for a blank or deactivated t-mobile sim. I wanted it to do the t-mobile sim swap trick for getting MMS to work on the iphone 5. The 2 unfriendly t-mobile employees just stared at me blankly and I then I asked if I could just buy a blank t-mobile sim. They said no. They wanted so badly to deny me of what I wanted. So I eventually get it out of them that they can sell me a $10 t-mobile prepaid sim that comes with 5 days of service. So I bought the sim and they set me up with a new phone number and everything.
I get home and pop the sim in and I was playing around with settings and I noticed that the default hotspot password was "fibber0445" - quite an odd default password if you ask me. Is that something that these 2 employees could have set up on my sim card while I was making the purchase? I was thinking that by "fibber" they were implying that I was lying to them about something.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
While unfriendly and rude, you're definitely over thinking the password thing.

noodlelegs

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
I thought I read that the default password would be the last 4 digits of my phone number or something like it. I guess my question is... is the hotspot password embedded on the sim card and can you change the default password when activating the sim?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I get home and pop the sim in and I was playing around with settings and I noticed that the default hotspot password was "fibber0445" - quite an odd default password if you ask me. Is that something that these 2 employees could have set up on my sim card while I was making the purchase?

No. It's a random password generated using a word the phone has picked out of the dictionary, followed by some numbers. If you want, you can wipe your phone and reset it, and you'll see that it'll generate a whole new password in a similar fashion.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I recently went into a t-mobile store to ask for a blank or deactivated t-mobile sim. I wanted it to do the t-mobile sim swap trick for getting MMS to work on the iphone 5. The 2 unfriendly t-mobile employees just stared at me blankly and I then I asked if I could just buy a blank t-mobile sim. They said no. They wanted so badly to deny me of what I wanted. So I eventually get it out of them that they can sell me a $10 t-mobile prepaid sim that comes with 5 days of service. So I bought the sim and they set me up with a new phone number and everything.
I get home and pop the sim in and I was playing around with settings and I noticed that the default hotspot password was "fibber0445" - quite an odd default password if you ask me. Is that something that these 2 employees could have set up on my sim card while I was making the purchase? I was thinking that by "fibber" they were implying that I was lying to them about something.

What's a blank or deactivated SIM-card, and why would they be free?

techluvr

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Houston, TX
What's a blank or deactivated SIM-card, and why would they be free?

SIM card without a phone number that hasn't been provisioned. Users with unlocked devices on unofficial carriers have found a trick to be able to edit their APN settings by hot-swapping a blank T-Mobile SIM and performing a couple of other steps.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
SIM card without a phone number that hasn't been provisioned. Users with unlocked devices on unofficial carriers have found a trick to be able to edit their APN settings by hot-swapping a blank T-Mobile SIM and performing a couple of other steps.

Oh, okay. Thanks. So the "unfriendly" response from the employees that the TS was talking about was about as expected as walking in to a gas station asking to have a hose and a jug in order to steal gas?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Wow. Are u kidding? U can't be that paranoid, can u? And if the employees chose to call u a "fibber" intentionally, the joke is on them for using the term "fibber" in the first place.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
Oh, okay. Thanks. So the "unfriendly" response from the employees that the TS was talking about was about as expected as walking in to a gas station asking to have a hose and a jug in order to steal gas?

I'd imagine its more like asking for a free cup from the fountain drink machine.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Why would you care? What difference would it make? Just move on.

FYI the iPhone just chooses a random password, nothing they could have done.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I'd imagine its more like asking for a free cup from the fountain drink machine.

I see, I interpreted it as if he would use the T-mobile SIM card so he could enter their APN and then use it for MMS without having to pay them.

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
You think "fibber" is rude? Wow. I wonder what you'd think about some of the words I would use to describe this thread. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.