Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Suggestions For A USB Flash Drive To Back Up OS

Hi,

I have a 27 inch 2012 imac computer and I wish to purchase an usb flash drive to use as a recovery backup for the Mountain Lion operating system.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what brands to get as well as what size drive to order (8 or 16 GB).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me with selecting an usb flash drive!
beeinformed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2
xMClass
macrumors 6502

The Mountain Lion file size is a little over 4GB. So you'll want at least 8GB. I use Sandisk USB flash drives, never failed me once.

See here for more tips:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/...key-installer/
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:36 PM   #3
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMClass View Post
The Mountain Lion file size is a little over 4GB. So you'll want at least 8GB. I use Sandisk USB flash drives, never failed me once.

See here for more tips:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/...key-installer/
Thanks for your quick reply! Would the "PNY 8GB Hook Flash Drive" be sufficient for my iMac computer?

Below is the link for the usb drive:

http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.c...d=0&layer=comp

Last edited by beeinformed; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typographical error
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 PM   #4
xMClass
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeinformed View Post
Thanks for your quick reply! Would the "PNY 8GB Hook Flash Drive" be sufficient for my iMac computer?

Don't see why not! Should work just fine.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:39 PM   #5
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMClass View Post
Don't see why not! Should work just fine.
Thanks! I'm going to order this usb drive!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:41 PM   #6
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:

Yep The brand of the flash drive doesn't really matter too much - A flash drive is a relatively simple device, so in most cases they're all the same.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:39 AM   #7
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Yep The brand of the flash drive doesn't really matter too much - A flash drive is a relatively simple device, so in most cases they're all the same.
Does it make a difference if the speed of the usb flash drive is 2.0 or 3.0 as my iMac computer comes with 3.0 usb ports? Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:49 AM   #8
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Does it make a difference if the speed of the usb flash drive is 2.0 or 3.0 as my iMac computer comes with 3.0 usb ports? Thanks!
If the Flash chips inside are the same speed it won't matter, btw, USB 2 is already much faster than most if not all USB flash memory sticks.

Edit: Experience Accelerated File Transfer and Backup

Up to 190MB/s which IS much faster than USB 2 can deliver.

Last edited by justperry; Jan 31, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:45 AM   #9
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Well, either will work, however a 3.0 flash drive would be faster on your iMac.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:50 AM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Well, either will work, however a 3.0 flash drive would be faster on your iMac.
That might depend on the thumbdrive . My USB 3.0 drive read is much faster that writing to it.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:08 AM   #11
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:

That's a USB 2.0 drive, ergo reinstalling the system will take ages. You would be better off with something like the LaCie RuggedKey.
Thumb resize.

But, if you use it a lot and need sheer speed, the Mushkin Enhanced Ventura Plus is the fastest 16GB drive, the read speed is rated a little faster than the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0, then again if you want to repurpose it later, the SanDisk has faster write speeds and looks better.
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.

Also, you know that your 2012 Mac has Internet Recovery if you press Command+R when turning on, which makes the USB stick obsolete, right?

Last edited by Giuly; Jan 31, 2013 at 03:22 AM.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:12 PM   #12
jwjsr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
That's a USB 2.0 drive, ergo reinstalling the system will take ages. You would be better off with something like the LaCie RuggedKey.
Thumb resize.

But, if you use it a lot and need sheer speed, the Mushkin Enhanced Ventura Plus is the fastest 16GB drive, the read speed is rated a little faster than the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0, then again if you want to repurpose it later, the SanDisk has faster write speeds and looks better.
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.

Also, you know that your 2012 Mac has Internet Recovery if you press Command+R when turning on, which makes the USB stick obsolete, right?
How long would usb 3 stick take vs internet recovery with 6mbps internet connection?
jwjsr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:18 PM   #13
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjsr View Post
How long would usb 3 stick take vs internet recovery with 6mbps internet connection?
Even a USB 1 stick would be faster than that, but a USB 2.0 stick would definitely be faster, since you would have to download 4 GB via a 6 Mb/s line, which would take 1.5 hours to download. Even when I use my Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installer from an external USB 2.0 HDD I can install in less than 30 minutes, sometimes 15 to 20 minutes I guess.

If the USB 3.0 stick would have flash modules that offer a significant speed, like 50 or 80 MB/s or even more, than a USB 3.0 stick would be quite good, but as USB 2.0 offers 35 MB/s already, it might be overkill for an installation medium.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:29 PM   #14
jwjsr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Even a USB 1 stick would be faster than that, but a USB 2.0 stick would definitely be faster, since you would have to download 4 GB via a 6 Mb/s line, which would take 1.5 hours to download. Even when I use my Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installer from an external USB 2.0 HDD I can install in less than 30 minutes, sometimes 15 to 20 minutes I guess.

If the USB 3.0 stick would have flash modules that offer a significant speed, like 50 or 80 MB/s or even more, than a USB 3.0 stick would be quite good, but as USB 2.0 offers 35 MB/s already, it might be overkill for an installation medium.
can I boot ML from the usb stick?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:25 PM   #15
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
can I boot ML from the usb stick?
If it is properly formatted* and cloned, yes.
Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! to make a bootable clone of either the installation medium or the actual OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion install onto the USB flash memory thumb drive.
* How to format a new HDD to install Mac OS X onto (or make a bootable copy onto)
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:56 PM   #16
jwjsr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
If it is properly formatted* and cloned, yes.
Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! to make a bootable clone of either the installation medium or the actual OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion install onto the USB flash memory thumb drive.
* How to format a new HDD to install Mac OS X onto (or make a bootable copy onto)
thanks simsalad, i installed samsusng 840 iin my mac min 2012 but I messed something up and it didn't create fusion, Philipma1957 says a gotta erase to make osx thinks its broken in order to creat fusion drive
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:17 PM   #17
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
You know that your 2012 Mac has Internet Recovery if you press Command+R when turning on, which makes the USB stick obsolete, right?
I just found out (Told by a newbie) that to get directly into internet recovery it is Command-Option-R.

Find out here on an Apple page buried deep inside and not in the shortcut page, it's halfway down.(Search: Option)
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:47 PM   #18
jwjsr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.

option ????? upon startup lets me choose which drive to boot from?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:24 AM   #19
jwjsr
macrumors 6502

CCC to USB stick slow?

CC cloner took 3hr to clone Osx 10.8.1 ML to my usb stick on my 2012 mnini. Normal? Does that mean its gonna take that long to copy it back to my SSD?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:38 AM   #20
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
CC cloner took 3hr to clone Osx 10.8.1 ML to my usb stick on my 2012 mnini. Normal? Does that mean its gonna take that long to copy it back to my SSD?
Yes most likely, many files to copy.
No, reading that USB stick is most likely much faster.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:09 AM   #21
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
It was most likely a USB stick with slow write speed, as doing the same with a USB HDD takes about ten minutes.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:21 PM   #22
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

I've decided to go with a 3.0 usb flash drive, instead of the 2.0 version (to use as a recovery backup for the Mountain Lion OS) and would appreciate suggestions for an inexpensive option? Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:21 AM   #23
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
True enough... but if you ever need to DL a 4.7GB installer over hotel wifi, you will wish you had the USB key installer. I carry one with me on trips.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
True enough... but if you ever need to DL a 4.7GB installer over hotel wifi, you will wish you had the USB key installer. I carry one with me on trips.
You travel with your 27" iMac? Kudos.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:05 PM   #25
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
You travel with your 27" iMac? Kudos.
It fits quite nicely in my briefcase.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals