Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1
JRKyte
macrumors newbie

Time Machine back up with Airdisk (Airport Extreme)

I have an Airport extreme (assuming newest model, I got it for christmas), connected to it I have a belking powered USB hub, and connected to that I have 2 1TB hard drives.

I want to use one of those hard drives for a wireless time machine back up, but here at university my wifi is so slow it says it will take 7 days to do the initial back up, I've tried to let it do this 3 times, but overtime it disconnects at some point. Today is the furthest I've got at 6 days remaining, then the connection was lost and the back up fails - meaning I have to start over!

I have an ethernet cable which I have plugged into the aiport and my mac, as apparently this allows you to do the initial backup over the ethernet (which shouldnt be effected by the internet cutting out?) and also ethernet is a lot faster than wifi i'm told.

However, it doesn't seem to be using the ethernet connection as, like i've said, it just cut out on me, and also the back was still going to take a week.

How do I make it connect over ethernet, but then after this, use wifi to make back ups?

The airport extreme is part of my wifi network by the way, not the router where the internet is plugged in.

Thanks in advance

Jon
JRKyte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:06 PM   #2
daerve
macrumors newbie

If you go the networking section in system preferences you can check if it's connected via ethernet and also by clicking the config icon under the left menu you can change the hierarchy of what is used. Most likely wifi is set as the priority.
daerve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:53 PM   #3
JRKyte
macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks i'll try that out!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:41 AM   #4
satcomer
macrumors 68040

If you read the blog Configuring OS X Mountain Lion Time Machine to Work With CIFS (SMB) Share. So just mount and format the external for Mac OS X Extended and use Disk Utility to create 1 partition for MAC OS Extended (Journaled). The follow the steps in the link (that I listed earlier) and set the sparse bundle on the drive.

This should work, Good Luck.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:06 PM   #5
JRKyte
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
If you read the blog Configuring OS X Mountain Lion Time Machine to Work With CIFS (SMB) Share. So just mount and format the external for Mac OS X Extended and use Disk Utility to create 1 partition for MAC OS Extended (Journaled). The follow the steps in the link (that I listed earlier) and set the sparse bundle on the drive.

This should work, Good Luck.
My external drive is formatted to OS Extended (Journaled) already.

So then do I just follow the link?

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:26 PM   #6
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKyte View Post
My external drive is formatted to OS Extended (Journaled) already.

So then do I just follow the link?

Thanks for the help!
Then just go with making the spares bundle and go on from there to make the permission on in the steps after making the bundle. Just make sure you have the disk mounted on your Mac.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help