Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PFox78

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Hi there,

I recently subscribed to iTunes Match and despite some glitches here and there related to album artwork, it has been working just swell.

I did have an issue recently, however, that I was hoping someone could help with. I have some music on an external hard drive, and I've added some of it to my iTunes library the other day. I usually fill in the "Artist" and "Album Artist" field as well as the "Sort Album" field to keep the records on chronological order by adding 01, 02, 03... etc. in front of the album name.

This has worked splendidly for pretty much all my library, but I have one artist I just added for which the order is coming across on my iPhone and iPad — although it comes out just fine on iTunes Match at my machine at work, as it does on my PC. In all instances, the last album shows up first, with the rest in the right order.

I've tried naming and renaming the artist fields, deleting the albums and removing them from iCloud, then adding them again, turning off, then on, iTunes Match on my idevices and the same thing happens.

The only way to get around this is to leave an extra space after the artist's name in the "Album Artist" field; nothing else seems to work!

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I've had success in the past with adding a 1 to the artist's name for a while and then changing it back.

"but I have one artist I just added for which the order is coming across on my iPhone and iPad — although it comes out just fine on iTunes Match at my machine at work, as it does on my PC. In all instances, the last album shows up first, with the rest in the right order."

Are you talking about the order of the albums on your iOS devices? Like the year they were released?

EDIT* Just noticed they are listed in alphabetical order on iOS devices.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.