Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:15 PM   #26
lshirase
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
I don't have numbers, but after playing pretty much any game the fans spin up quite loud and the bottom gets almost untouchable because of heat. (I have both 11" and 13" i7 models)

If I'm not gaming though, the fans do not even come on.

I'm wondering about the difference on the i5 as well...
thats 100% normal. fans will kick in instantly when loading / playing a game.
lshirase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:51 PM   #27
sofakng
macrumors regular

Thanks... and I'm guessing there is little difference between the i5 and i7 regarding fan speed and heat?

Even though the i5 and i7 both have 15W TDPs, I would think that the i5 would draw less power and thus generate less heat...
sofakng is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:59 PM   #28
lshirase
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Thanks... and I'm guessing there is little difference between the i5 and i7 regarding fan speed and heat?

Even though the i5 and i7 both have 15W TDPs, I would think that the i5 would draw less power and thus generate less heat...
I noticed a 2-3C difference between the i5 and i7 under relatively heavy load. Nothing to worry about.
lshirase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:08 PM   #29
froggyjo
macrumors newbie

Working with the 2013 13'' Ultimate: So cool, that I don't even bother measuring temps. As a longtime MacUser (20+ yrs) I know what hot "lap"tops feel like. This one is amazingly cool - no reason to worry ...
froggyjo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:08 PM   #30
wermy
macrumors member

Been using my 11" i7/8GB/256GB for several hours straight. I currently have chrome w/ 6 tabs, xcode (w/ iPhone simulator), Steam downloading/installing a game, SourceTree and Messages all running. If the fans are running, I can't hear them. It's barely warm to the touch.
In my opinion the heat "issues" are blown way out of proportion. That or the people having issues are just doing ridiculously CPU-intensive tasks (maybe without even knowing it, like Dropbox syncing, local Time Machine backups or something).
wermy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:17 AM   #31
curtoise
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wermy View Post
Been using my 11" i7/8GB/256GB for several hours straight. I currently have chrome w/ 6 tabs, xcode (w/ iPhone simulator), Steam downloading/installing a game, SourceTree and Messages all running. If the fans are running, I can't hear them. It's barely warm to the touch.
In my opinion the heat "issues" are blown way out of proportion. That or the people having issues are just doing ridiculously CPU-intensive tasks (maybe without even knowing it, like Dropbox syncing, local Time Machine backups or something).
But I thought that Dropbox syncing and local Time Machine backups are regular daily tasks.
curtoise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:40 AM   #32
wermy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtoise View Post
But I thought that Dropbox syncing and local Time Machine backups are regular daily tasks.
I was talking about first-time syncs, which many people are likely to have going on for a while after getting their machine set up the first time.
wermy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air