Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Hey guys and gals,

I've been creating some videos where I mainly need to be in front of the camera and talk. Till now, I've been using the iSight camera on my iMac. I just purchased a 1080p Logitech C920 webcam. The camera works nicely with PhotoBooth, lags in QuickTime Player X capture doesn't even show in FCPX. Is there anyway that I can make FCPX see beyond the default camera?

If not, are there any other capture programs where I can use my Logitech camera and my Yeti microphone? (even if QPX worked, I hate how it produced gigantic file sizes)

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
It works with Photobooth, QuickTime (7) and (X), FaceTime, Skype, and You Tube (via their web interface); FCPx refuses to see it.

HOWEVER...

You will be stuck in 640x480 mode for all but QT. QT lets you record using the camera's native mode of 1080p, but only as an uncompressed RAW stream. So your HDD is going to choke. If you have an SSD you might be able to record smoothly.

Lastly, you won't have control or access to many of the features that makes the c920 great. My suggestion, do what I do. I record my "important" videos using Parallels. That way I get to use the Logitech software and have full control. (Parallels was recently on sale for $49 as part of the app bundle with other apps)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.