Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:55 AM   #1
dmax35
macrumors 6502

The New SmugMug

SmugMug just recently did a total overhaul with redesigned portfolios. For me the GUI interface is nice but find it a little clunky, the bad thing is if you have a private gallery it will show those photo's unprotected.

Curious about your thoughts?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Edge100
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax35 View Post
SmugMug just recently did a total overhaul with redesigned portfolios. For me the GUI interface is nice but find it a little clunky, the bad thing is if you have a private gallery it will show those photo's unprotected.

Curious about your thoughts?
I was initially quite impressed with the new look.

However, the lack of a dedicated blogging solution (as compared with Squarespace) is a deal-breaker for me.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:56 PM   #3
fcortese
macrumors 68000

There's an apparent problem that your photos can be easily downloaded (hi-res included) w/o being paid for (if you have smugmug pro) by simply having an iPad and Safari or Chrome. So there may be some kinks that need working out. As with all new stuff, I usually wait for several days or more before I dive in. I blocked my site with password protection until I ma sure this issue is resolved. SM has remained mum on this so far, BTW.
fcortese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
dmax35
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcortese View Post
As with all new stuff, I usually wait for several days or more before I dive in. I blocked my site with password protection until I ma sure this issue is resolved. SM has remained mum on this so far, BTW.
I noticed that about using with an iPad, also if you customize one design and decide to change to another, it won't let you do so with out it defaulting back to your 1st design. Forget about getting phone support.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Cheese&Apple
macrumors 6502a

Personally, I like the SmugMug redesign. I've been able to put together a decent layout quickly and without any of the custom coding I used previously. Kudos to SmugMug for listening to users.

Here is my redesign: Peter Derrington - Photography

I still have some adjustments and tweaking to do so feedback is most welcome.

Peter
Cheese&Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:01 PM   #6
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese&Apple View Post
Personally, I like the SmugMug redesign. I've been able to put together a decent layout quickly and without any of the custom coding I used previously. Kudos to SmugMug for listening to users.

Here is my redesign: Peter Derrington - Photography

I still have some adjustments and tweaking to do so feedback is most welcome.

Peter
Looking really good Peter. No navigation problems and as always a pleasure to peruse your pictures. Nice, simple, clean and modern appearance.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:10 AM   #7
Cheese&Apple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohn.8.80 View Post
Looking really good Peter. No navigation problems and as always a pleasure to peruse your pictures. Nice, simple, clean and modern appearance.
Thanks John...very much appreciated.

Hope to have shots from my Newfoundland trip up soon. The "Travel Gallery" is getting stale and feels too sparse to me.

Peter
Cheese&Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Razeus
macrumors 68040

I love the new look. I never used SmugMug because of the older design they had.

I've been looking for a easier way to build a photography based website and I've been trying to maintain a Wordpress one, but I find it much too complicated to get it they way I like. SmugMug makes it easier, and simple.

I do like that Wordpress has a blogging feature though. I may just create a SmugMug page and just have it redirected to a Wordpress.com style blog for now.

I'm going to try Square Space too and see if that's just as easy since it has a blogging feature built it.

You can check out my SmugMug here. It should be working now (I recently transferred my domain name to Godaddy from Bluehost), as the link was coming up blank for a while.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:57 PM   #9
avro707
macrumors 6502a

I'm quite pleased with the new Smugmug. I redid mine as well. But I might make future changes. My efforts were the work of about 1 hour with a nasty cold.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography