Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Allow me to correct #1 to some extent.

In California, a "private person" can arrest someone if he or she saw a "public offense" being committed, or has reason to believe that a felony was committed. Edit: Theft is a public offense.

California Penal Code section 837 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?file=833-851.90&group=00001-01000&section=pen):

The specific section granting a merchant the authority to detain a person whom they have probable cause to believe has unlawfully taken merchandise is 490.5 (f)(1) PC.

or has reason to believe that a felony was committed

A very important point here for a private person arrest acting on a felony is the added element of 'when in fact a felony has been committed.'

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The specific section granting a merchant the authority to detain a person whom they have probable cause to believe has unlawfully taken merchandise is 490.5 (f)(1) PC.

A very important point here for a private person arrest acting on a felony is the added element of 'when in fact a felony has been committed.'

This also goes for misdemeanors. 836.5 I believe. Would have to look it up. But a misdemeanor not committed in the presence of a peace officer. This is how most stores operate for the stealing of beer, cd's etc. Stuff that is under the dollar mark for a felony.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
This also goes for misdemeanors. 836.5 I believe. Would have to look it up. But a misdemeanor not committed in the presence of a peace officer. This is how most stores operate for the stealing of beer, cd's etc. Stuff that is under the dollar mark for a felony.

Generally speaking a misdemeanor must occur in the presence of a peace officer, but there are many exceptions. In the case of shoplifting the merchant or their agent will sign a CA (citizen arrest) and the police or deputy will then take custody of them (then likely releasing them on a citation). However if the shoplifting actually meets the elements of burglary or grand theft it is now a felony and no CA is necessary -- the officer can make the arrest based merely on the probable cause.

A shoplift suspect who violently resists a merchant (or agent) attempting to detain them can easily pass out of a misdemeanor petty theft and into robbery a felony.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
There is a such thing as a "citizen's arrest" in which anyone can make an arrest. I've been asked for my receipt when leaving a store before, I provide it without harassing the employee who is just doing his/her job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.