Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CheesyTators

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
SE Michigan
As the titles states, are there any heat/fan issues running Windows 7 on a Mini 2012? In the past I have read Mac's have had issues keeping cool in Windows 7 and am hoping the drivers have been refined to alleviate the issues.

I wouldn't run Windows at all but I have some radio programming software that is Windows only so I have no choice.

Thanks.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I don't know specifically about your model but windows doesn't drive the fan any harder than OS X (you can download utilities to measure rpm and mine is consistently between 1995 and 2005 rpm in both mac and windows). It has nothing to do with windows or mac drivers and only to do with the temperature of the processor.

If your program in windows drives the CPU to 100% all the time, the processor will get hot and need the fan speed to ramp up. Given that it's radio programming software, it probably will drive the CPU to 100% and the fan will be louder than an idle computer.

A good example is running skype. With skype open in both mac os x and windows, the fan speed will not rise. But if you carry out a 1 hour video conversation, the fan speed will rise on both windows and mac. Once you hang up the video chat, the fan speed slowly decreases to idle speeds.

CheesyTators

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
SE Michigan
It has nothing to do with windows or mac drivers and only to do with the temperature of the processor.

Thanks for the reply. I do not currently have a Mini but had read that the heat was getting high and the fan was not running sufficiently when running Windows on a MBP 13" a few years back so I wanted to see if the issue was the same for the Mini before I spend the cash. Sounds like all is well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.