Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello all..

I am currently looking for a solution to do the following:

Folder A and Folder B. Folder B resides under Folder A. I want to have Folder B sync with Folder A, those files that are synced and those files that have been added to Folder A, I wanted deleted from Folder B. By the time it is done, all the files from Folder B should be in Folder A and all the files in Folder B should be deleted or moved over.

Hope this makes sense.

Folder A
Folder B

Look in Folder A, is the same file there? Yes or No? If yes, delete from Folder B, if no, Move to Folder A and then Delete from Folder B.

Any suggestions?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
That's not really "Syncing". Folder "B" is empty.

If you had folder "A", and dragged a file to it, it would either move (if it's on the same drive) or copy (from different drive) to folder "A". If the same file exists, you get a message "An item named “virtual server.pdf” already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the one you’re moving?" Or, it will say "older item" or "newer item".

Why do you need folder "B"?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Brian..

Thank you for the reply.

I don't want to have folder "B" any more. I just don't want to lose anything within folder "B".

I have duplicate items in folder "A" and folder "B". I am hoping to sync the items and as they sync, delete them from folder "B". Then I will delete folder "B" all together.

But the problem is there are items that are in both folders just not all the items.

example:
folder A>>Folder C>>PDF 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,10
folder A>>No folder D
folder B>>Folder C>>PDF 1,2,4,5,6,8,9
folder B>>Folder D>>PDF 9,10,11,12,13

So I want to make sure all the items that are not on A are moved from B so I would have the following:

folder A>>Folder C>>PDF 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13
folder A>>Folder D>>PDF 9,10,11,12,13
folder B>>Deleted

Hope this makes sense

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.