Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

FocusTwist, from developer Arqball, is an app that allows iPhone users to take pictures with variable focus points. Photographs captured with the app use multi-image functionality to refocus specific areas in the snapshot, producing an end result that is similar to the refocusable images that can be created with the Lytro Light Field Camera.

To create a refocusable photograph, FocusTwist takes several different images of an object at once, each with a different focal point. Because the camera is capturing multiple photographs, the app requires a steady hand or a tripod to produce accurate results.

focustwist.jpg
Capture and share images that can be refocused later!

Add a cool and fun dimension to your photographs and impress your friends and family.

Twists are great for food, toys, fashion, nature, architecture - any scene with multiple elements to focus on.
The developers suggest composing scenes with an object that is three to four inches away from the iPhone's camera and another object that is positioned further in the background for optimal results.

With multiple images captured, users can click through images to choose different focus points after an image has been taken. Focus shifting is done through the company's servers (which also compensate for shaking) and finished images can be shared with a link.

FocusTwist for the iPhone can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: FocusTwist Allows iPhone Users to Capture Refocusable Lytro-style Images

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
$1.99 is too much? i guess the $70+ a month to keep the phone activated is also too much?

Anyone paying $70+ a month is seriously being ripped off.

There are other options out there for plans, even with the big carriers. You don't have to take the "iPhone plan"

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

There are other options out there for plans, even with the big carriers. You don't have to take the "iPhone plan"
Even with $40/month phone plan the comparison that was made is still more than valid.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
$1.99 is too much? i guess the $70+ a month to keep the phone activated is also too much?

Yes, yes it is; but that's another story altogether.

On topic, I find the Lytro of limited usefulness in its current incarnation. For two bucks I'll probably get this for the novelty.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
If you send one of these photos to someone else, do they have to have the app in order to get the effect? Or is there some sort of web based viewer that does it as well?

ThisIsMike

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007

If you can find me a plan for iPhone 5, 4G data speeds, unlimited (NO THROTTLING) internet for less than $70 bucks a months, please let me know. That would be fab.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This seems like a cool idea but really only is going to work for macro shots with something up super close and the background far away.

In nearly all other cases changing the focus by a few feet isn't really going to change the image very much.

dark knight

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Definitely worth the price, and quite a cool app. Just wondering, apart from the gimmick, would this be at all useful.
I see the full lytro thing having some pro advantages, once the resolution gets upped, but an app that takes 3 pictures with different focal points? not too sure....

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
To anyone who has bought it:

Does it allow you to blend the different images into one (sort of like HDR) ?
If not, does it allow you to export the images it captured with different focus points?

I don't have a Twitter account, so sharing is useless for me.

On a side note: is there any other app which does the above things?

pietrociao

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
Not working

It's not working, I put on my 3D glasses but the picture is still in 2D. (i have an iPhone 5 with retina display)

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
If you can find me a plan for iPhone 5, 4G data speeds, unlimited (NO THROTTLING) internet for less than $70 bucks a months, please let me know. That would be fab.

https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html

Sorry, but unlimited data is a thing of the past. In Canada, I'd recommend Koodo.

$45 a month currently gets you 1GB of data (plenty for most people) 450 daytime minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends after 5 p.m., unlimited texting / picture messaging, call display, voicemail, and nationwide calling. For $60 a month, you get all of that, plus unlimited talk and 2 GB of data.

You must have something similar to this in the US.

To get this deal, you either need to bring your own phone (which gets you 10% off your monthly bill) or buy a phone from Koodo and put it on your tab, which takes $150 off the price of the phone. Every month, 10% of your bill goes towards paying off your tab, until you're at zero and can then get a new phone. If you want to get a new phone before then, or if you want to leave, you just pay off your tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.