Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shan4djfun

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2013
Sri Lanka
Hello Guys, My Name is Shalin & I'm New here. I'm new to the OSX as well. But I have used unix for few months. I recently bought this MacBook Pro 15" retina (i7)2.4 version with 256SSD.

I have a little question to be clarified. I install wine with macport. then managed to install Battlefield 2 correctly. But when I start the .exe with wine it gives me a error asking for the battlefield DVD. Any fix for this?

As you may know retina version does not have a DVD drive. I installed this from mounting (deamon tools lite for mac). I really need to figure out a solution for this. And I very much appreciate a good help :)

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I'm kind of fed up with windows, cant I struggle a bit and get it to work properly? :(

More often than not, you'll end up struggling a bit and still not getting it to work. It can be done, sometimes, but it's definitely not ideal. I don't like having to switch to Windows for certain games either, but it does work better. Just use it when you have to, and don't do anything you don't have to on it.

shan4djfun

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2013
Sri Lanka
More often than not, you'll end up struggling a bit and still not getting it to work. It can be done, sometimes, but it's definitely not ideal. I don't like having to switch to Windows for certain games either, but it does work better. Just use it when you have to, and don't do anything you don't have to on it.

good point BUT, i have spent a lot for this high-end linux machine called macbook pro. still if i cant get it to work the way I want what's the point? :mad::apple::mad:

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
good point BUT, i have spent a lot for this high-end linux machine called macbook pro. still if i cant get it to work the way I want what's the point? :mad::apple::mad:

I understand your point, but being able to easily run Windows and OS X is one of the advantages of having a Mac.

I'm not an expert on Wine - I've tried it without a whole lot of success. There are some tutorials around, so maybe you can figure it out better than I did. To me, cycling between them when I really want to play a game that only works for Windows is worth it, because OS X is so much better at everything else. It's just fine for games itself, too, it's just a matter of publishers making games for Windows only.

I'm sure you'll figure out something that works for you though. The Mac is great, even if there are compatibility problems now and then. There are a lot of great games coming out for OS X nowadays, too. I know that I read a rumor a while back saying that EA was hiring people to work on a Mac version of the next Battlefield...

shan4djfun

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2013
Sri Lanka
I understand your point, but being able to easily run Windows and OS X is one of the advantages of having a Mac.

I'm not an expert on Wine - I've tried it without a whole lot of success. There are some tutorials around, so maybe you can figure it out better than I did. To me, cycling between them when I really want to play a game that only works for Windows is worth it, because OS X is so much better at everything else. It's just fine for games itself, too, it's just a matter of publishers making games for Windows only.

I'm sure you'll figure out something that works for you though. The Mac is great, even if there are compatibility problems now and then. There are a lot of great games coming out for OS X nowadays, too. I know that I read a rumor a while back saying that EA was hiring people to work on a Mac version of the next Battlefield...

Thanks yes, i installed windows .. gotta hangout with it until OSX become game savvy. Thanks for the reply

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Thanks yes, i installed windows .. gotta hangout with it until OSX become game savvy. Thanks for the reply

Sorry I wasn't much help, it's just that my experiences with Wine have been pretty poor. You could always try a virtual desktop, like Parallels - some people claim they can get some games to run decently enough in it, and Battlefield 2 is pretty old, so the specs shouldn't be too high.

OS X is pretty good with games, it's just a matter of developers supporting it. I hope you don't get the impression that it's a bad OS or lacking something, it's just in the developer's hands. There are some good games that work for Mac, just take a look at some of the stuff on Steam and the App Store.

shan4djfun

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2013
Sri Lanka
Sorry I wasn't much help, it's just that my experiences with Wine have been pretty poor. You could always try a virtual desktop, like Parallels - some people claim they can get some games to run decently enough in it, and Battlefield 2 is pretty old, so the specs shouldn't be too high.

OS X is pretty good with games, it's just a matter of developers supporting it. I hope you don't get the impression that it's a bad OS or lacking something, it's just in the developer's hands. There are some good games that work for Mac, just take a look at some of the stuff on Steam and the App Store.

I have been around with Ubuntu much to understand what is Unix is all about. Its powerful secure and in the case you Ubuntu , you can dress it well as you want. Even the games work perfectly (native and adaptive). In this specific case i was soo disappointed coz wine was not able to run it out of the box. Anyhow i'm playing it on the hardware in maximum level. Thank for your comments. They helped me to understand search more. You have been some help. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.