Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:39 AM   #251
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
Umm... a pair of these things HAS to cost in excess of $4000-5000, don't you think?
As you said, up to 6 gigs. The 6 gig version will be expensive, but they'll have cheaper options with less expensive GPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
2. The PCIe flash drive in the Mac Pro that's "up to 2.5x faster than current SSD technology"? Again, sounds costly! The only similar drives I see for sale already in the Windows world are models like this one
Don't forget the freshly updated Macbook Air, it has a similar SSD that has reads and writes in the 800 and 700 meg per second ranges.

No way this thing starts out costing thousands more than the previous version. Probably a price increase of $500 tops, and I think there's a good chance it's even less.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:01 PM   #252
muncyweb
macrumors regular

Glad they're making stuff in the U.S. That's a brave move considering all the red tape, economic disaster, and government bull crap American businesses have to endure.
muncyweb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:44 PM   #253
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Yeah... turning screws isn't all this is about ....

I think the most significant part of having a U.S. based factory assembling the new Mac Pro is the factory equipment and processes required. The aluminum extruding machinery and so forth are expensive, but also something you don't generally just invest in to make one product.

If you put together a factory and tool it up for something with a custom enclosure like the new Mac Pro has, you're probably looking at it becoming a long term facility to form a lot more aluminum for future projects, too.

This would, honestly, be a lot less of a big deal if we were talking about a factory assembling PC clones in standard mini-tower cases, where literally, you are paying workers to just turn a bunch of screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
I'm not saying these guys should make $40 per hour screwing aluminum casing together so we pay more for it. I'm just glad to see something getting made here. We can't live off retail alone, Canada and the US need to keep making stuff.
kingtj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:41 AM   #254
RichardI
macrumors 6502a

I find it really ironic that Apple has become the IBM of the 21st century.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:10 AM   #255
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrickley View Post
Is Apple only shipping to US for the Mac Pro
It's not released until later in the year. Right now it's not shipping anywhere.
milo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:43 AM   #256
Ezlivin
macrumors member

I don't think I will

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
Sounds like you need to move over seas where they think like you.
As a 100% disabled American veteran married to another veteran, I think I'll stay in the country I and my wife (and our fathers) served to defend. Don't confuse criticism with hate.
Ezlivin is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion