Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
S
test-drive-bed.jpg

6a52635269646e6b494138515262736277-140x119.jpg

Yes - with a proper laptop maybe. The MBP won't, or will struggle to, stay open.

I compute in bed very seldom, but I did it often enough that I wanted a solution. Laptops were a bad idea - gets too warm, and the iLap, while probably being the best solution, is clumsy.

I ended up with a desktop, a large LCD TV, a motorised display mount (opposite my bed and above an alcove type place which already had a small desk) and the Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000. No flaming thighs/testicles/chest/whatever, and only a very light (and backlit) keyboard to perch on the bed. The TV spends most of its time being an almost-to-the-wallmount. When I need to tap in bad, it can come a little closer towards me.

gadabout

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
i've been thinking of making something similar to desks in big lecture halls. it would be attatched to my bed, and fold up when i needed it, and down when i was ready to fall asleep. i dunno though, my desk is pretty close, so i tend to just use my imac from bed, and the macbook only when out of the house (which is dumb, since it is pretty much just as good as the imac...) oh well

tangje

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
+1 for iLap. Keeps my MBA cool, very comfortable. Not too big/bulky/ugly. Unfortunately, a bit expensive.

gmuzzatti

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Best patop stand for bed use

The very best product for using any laptop while reclining, sitting and especially bed use is Laptop Laidback.
http://www.tesco-shopping.com/Laptop_Laidback.htm
At $89 it's affordable, guaranteed, durable and works very, very well. I own one and have used it at home, camping and at hotels because it is ideal for watching movies and prolonged use because it is well vented.Keeps laptop very stable and is pretty much infinately adjustable to accommodate multiple uses and body sizes. I've loaned it to friends suffering temporary injuries who are bedridden, that's where it truly performs.
--

Last edited:

MiesVanDerRobot

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
If we're getting into Danish-design territory, then consider the Offi Overlap Tray. I have one, and quite like the way it holds laptop, coffee, pen, plus a book & an iPad in the side slot. Might seem pricey, but mine has survived 8 years of abuse with no scars but a few scuffs to the topside veneer. Quality worth paying for.

http://www.offi.com/products/tablesanddesks/LAPTBL.php?p2c=1211

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.