Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annestenvad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Okay, so last night while on facebook my MacBook Pro froze and told me to **** down by pressing and holding down the on/off- button. So I did. When I started it up again it only showed the blinking question mark mentioned. By doing some research and trying a lot of not-working tips, I figured it must be the hard drive or the cable. So today I went to an authorized mac repair store and he confirmed my suspicion. The hard drive was bad. So he replaced it with a new one, partiated it and it should be good to go for a new installation from my mac os x install dvd with snow leopard. I tried installing, but after two minutes it kept saying "unknown failure". I tried many times. I went back to the repair store and he tried replacing the new hard drive with a second one. Maybe it was a failure on the hard drive from the fabrication. My mac could recognize the drive, but just wouldn't complete the install. Well, he put in the second one and started installing from usb. Still snow leopard. The installation went fine and I got to the part with questions about network and registration. When I got to my full name and my folders name, it froze when pressing next. For a long time. So instead I tried pressing the back button. Suddenly it froze again and I wasn't able to move neither back or forward. So I - after a loong time of waiting again - pressed the off button and shut down the computer. When starting up it kept circling with the " wheel" under the Apple for a really long time. I loaded my install dvd and went disk utilities. The hard drive was there, but when running control /verify it went like all red. And when trying to repair it couldn't because of a failed. Not much information. SoI tried making a new partion but when doing that the old one disappeared and it wasn't able to make a new one. Now when I start up my Mac the questions mark is blinking again! And I'm back to step 1. What happened here?? Is my mac simply ruining every hard drive attached? :S I would really appreciate some help and opinions. The repairman is sure that it's not the cable connecting the hard drive :/Thank you in advance, hope to get some fast help! -Anne

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
No matter how sure your repairman is, I'd replace the cable, because it's one possible source of failure.

If it's not that, it's possibly a logic board issue, which is expensive.

It's extraordinarily unlikely, although theoretically possible, that you just tried a bunch of bad drives.

annestenvad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Thank you for replying! The weird thing about it being the capable is, that I can see the hard drive just not partion it and therefore not install on it. Something is really off about all this. I'm starting to suspect that there was actually nothing wrong with my own very first hard drive, that I paid a lot to get replaced. Well, I'll be back at the repair store again tomorrow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.