Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I think it's time for a third operating system to start pushing through.

What, like Linux? It has two major problems, the first of which it shares with Windows: it works on millions of different hardware configurations, leading to potentially millions of unique bugs. OSX only has to work on a few dozen, making it less likely to be buggy, and able to be optimised - touchpad support is the most obvious example of this.

The second problem is also a strength - there are more distributions than I can count, which means software availability is patchy, but also means it can be anything you want it to be.

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
I find it odd considering how awful skype is for mac, it should be okay for windows.
There are two different Skype for Windows 8. The regular desktop application (which is similar to that on OSX) and the "new style" aka Windows Store aka Metro Skype application (which is more similar to mobile applications). The latter only accepts Microsoft accounts (that is, Hotmail, Xbox, Zune, Outlook accounts), not older Skype accounts although you can link them.

Regarding the antivirus: Windows 8 has built-in antivirus, it is called Defender. This is not the same Defender as in Windows 7 but instead the Defender of Windows 8 is a rebranded MSE.

Last edited:

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
What, like Linux? It has two major problems, the first of which it shares with Windows: it works on millions of different hardware configurations, leading to potentially millions of unique bugs. OSX only has to work on a few dozen, making it less likely to be buggy, and able to be optimised - touchpad support is the most obvious example of this.

The second problem is also a strength - there are more distributions than I can count, which means software availability is patchy, but also means it can be anything you want it to be.

Quite. So Linux isn't going to be the third OS. It's not 'consumer-ready'. It's an OS for computer geeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chrome OS is Google's beta for a full-fledged computer OS. And it's about time someone tried, because Windows is rubbish and Apple have lost direction.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
I guess I'm in the minority because I ditched a 2011 iMac for a Dell with Window 8. Different strokes and all that. :)

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Take it back and get a Mac Pro.

Seriously, you can put widows 8 on it and run it native, so there's no reason to not get a Mac except if you don't have the money to afford it... Then just save up!

I run windows 7 on my Mac when I want to play windows-only games. Does great!

Don't make the mistake if not returning that machine and buying an apple laptop. Don't make THAT mistake! :D

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Quite. So Linux isn't going to be the third OS. It's not 'consumer-ready'. It's an OS for computer geeks.

i disagree. i know relatively very little about computers and i'm certainly not a "computer geek" in the positive sense of the word and i am a linux user. there are many distributions of Linux that are designed so that anyone with gui experience would be perfectly comfortable using them. the problem is computers have historically shipped with either an apple or a windows os.

that is slowly changing. and as there have been so many terrible windows releases many people over the years have just downgraded to XP or switched to linux - and the number of people doing the latter is growing.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
that is slowly changing. and as there have been so many terrible windows releases many people over the years have just downgraded to XP or switched to linux - and the number of people doing the latter is growing.

Are you kidding me ? After more than two decades Linux barely reaches obove 1% of the user base as desktop OS. How many computers in an ordinary electronic store have any variant of Linux preinstalled (have not found any) ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Whether you like it or not, Linux is, have always been and most likely will always be a hobbyist OS, at least as desktop OS.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Troll on OP. You act as if you never used windows before, and you have. I have a windows gaming laptop and I love it. Not as much as my air.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Btw OP (Tim), what vendor is it? Sony have always given me a great windoze experience!
But i wouldnt swap it for OSX!

Last edited:

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
This kind of crap is why I switched in the first place. Now I have Windows 7 on bootcamp and every time I log on it has some problem. Most of the time it is related to the 750 updates it's trying to download or the updates that failed to install last time. It took me forever to fix all of the settings to stop it from giving me warning messages every 10 seconds. Microsoft overcharges you more than Apple too. Apple hardware is expensive but at least you get something for your money. Mac software is dirt cheap compared to Windows stuff.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
A favorite local burger restaurant runs a radio ad ending:
"Sure, you could buy a hamburger for a dollar...but then you'd have to eat it."

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Are you kidding me ? After more than two decades Linux barely reaches obove 1% of the user base as desktop OS. How many computers in an ordinary electronic store have any variant of Linux preinstalled (have not found any) ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Whether you like it or not, Linux is, have always been and most likely will always be a hobbyist OS, at least as desktop OS.

wow...hard to argue with cold facts. maybe i'm just being too optimistic...

bluebayou

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
SanFran
just out of curiosity--and sorry if this was already mentioned in a pervious post, I skimmed pretty quickly--but what model laptop did you buy exactly, what company, etc? just for comparison's sake lol.. i mean if it was a crappy HP thang I would totally understand, but ASUS's new ultrabook is pretty legit.

i love my mba tho hehe

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I'd take this post more seriously if

A) You weren't exaggerating about well... Everything

and

B) You weren't blaming windows for a user deficiency.

I switch between platforms often and don't have these issues. Windows 8 doesn't have a dock because it's windows 8, not OSX and has a different interface.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Sorry, I have to go now. I have a vírus scan to make.

LoL you people are sooo funny. I recently bought a windows computer and had ZEREO issues as you describe. Did you buy a 2008 version? My windows 8 machine had one update to download.... the rMBP I bought a few weeks ago also had a DL that needed to be done. Any chance to rip a windows machine for some of you lol. OP, meet life.

Good warning. Windows 8 is like getting screwed by a rusty pole by a guy named bubba. Avoid at all cost!
Do you even own a windows 8 machine? I doubt you do.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.