Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
well actually they could include a miniBluRay drive (a drive that supports only mini disc sizes) ... if theres such thing ...

mini bluray capacities are twice the standard dvd drive or equivalent to dual layer dvd ... this is actually feasible as a new standard ... :p

Mini is not an option. One has to be able to use published CDs, DVDs, and Blu Rays.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Buy an external optical drive.

I can count the times I've used my optical drive on my MBP on one hand. I'm happy not to have to drag it around unnecessarily. More battery much better.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Perhaps Apple will release ( which I strongly hope ) NEW cMBP with a better faster more reliable internal optical drive in the next few months.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
These options can be impossible when dealing with your private computer and corporate IT policies. The only accepted option being that you burn a physical disc for use in Powerpoint presentations or media transfer. Which can be annoying for consultants.
Interesting points. Now let me give you my point of view. I would never take a disk from a consultant and place it into any of my machines. They bring their own computers for presentations. I will never work with a company that hands out disks or usb drives for anything. Why must you burn anything for a powerpoint presentation for me? I've never had a consultant ask me to install a disk so that they could use my computers for their presentation.

Lastly, I'm not really concerned about annoying consultants. There here to offer me a service, if that service involves a security risk one minute after meeting them, I'll work with a different company.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
hi, for an example I have couple hundreds of music CDs that I often import them into an iTune on my computer and organize the songs, then rip them onto an empty CDs, or simply export files to my iPod. I also watch DVDs from my movie collections or when I buy them during my travel to watch them on the go. Just insert the disk and go is much easier and more portable for me than to be carrying around an external drive hanging out on the side of the lap top.
I had about 400 CDs, they were stolen in a move. I now have all my songs stored digitially through Apple iTunes. I don't have to keep up with them, I don't have to move them, I only keep the songs that I want to currently listen to stored on my computers and phone, AND I haven't had one stolen ( yet ).

Movies, same story. I have about 1000 DVDs and 300 BluRay sitting in a box in my attic. I've converted everything to digitial and purchase all new movies digitally to store on my personal cloud server. I can watch these movies almost anywhere in the world, anytime I want. Much more portable than dragging around a bunch of disks or an external drive ( which I haven't found the need for ). There is one time, when I download a few movies to my iPad and that is when I'm traveling. I usually download about 5 movies and they keep my occupied when I cannot get internet access for one reason or another.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Interesting points. Now let me give you my point of view. I would never take a disk from a consultant and place it into any of my machines. They bring their own computers for presentations. I will never work with a company that hands out disks or usb drives for anything. Why must you burn anything for a powerpoint presentation for me? I've never had a consultant ask me to install a disk so that they could use my computers for their presentation.

Lastly, I'm not really concerned about annoying consultants. There here to offer me a service, if that service involves a security risk one minute after meeting them, I'll work with a different company.

Consultants would prefer to use their own equipment. Sometimes it is not possible due to how different companies have their equipment setup. Or a technical problem arises preventing the consultants laptop from functioning with the clients projector. So they have to adapt to the policies or equipment of whatever company they are currently dealing.

Sometimes they deal with backwards companies that requires some proprietary software or some other company file requiring an optical disk.

Some companies just give the consultants laptops to use.

I digress. The main point of my post was that there are indeed situations where an optical disc is convenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.