Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:46 AM   #26
NMF
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Bull. I'm actually 32.
Thanks for proving my point? You're practically prehistoric in the tech world.

I don't know why you think linking me some articles written by a bunch of idiots means anything. I could link you to some articles written by people praising the Blackberry's physical keyboard and saying that no "work" smartphone will ever catch on without one. Guess what? Those people are idiots, not to be taken seriously.

I "work" from my computers as well and comfortably type over 85 WPM. I also used to use mechanical keyboards just like all of you sheep. I eventually switched to the Apple Wireless keyboards so that my typing experience was always the same regardless of whether I was on my laptop or or desktop. It took a bit of getting used to, but now I'm actually much slower on mechanical keyboards. Having physical space between your keys (i.e. "chicklets) it objectively superior to feeling tactile feedback when depressing them.

Again, you're just used to it. This entire mechanical "craze" is just people feeling nostalgic about their old computers. That, or some people are just thick-skulled and unwilling to retrain their muscle memory. So they keep clickity-clacking away on their ridiculously loud keyboards while the rest of us chuckle under our breath.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" (2013) Mac mini (2011) OS X Server + Drobo 5D
AirPort Time Capsule (2013) iPhone 5 TV 3
NMF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:13 AM   #27
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Thanks for proving my point? You're practically prehistoric in the tech world.

I don't know why you think linking me some articles written by a bunch of idiots means anything. I could link you to some articles written by people praising the Blackberry's physical keyboard and saying that no "work" smartphone will ever catch on without one. Guess what? Those people are idiots, not to be taken seriously.

I "work" from my computers as well and comfortably type over 85 WPM. I also used to use mechanical keyboards just like all of you sheep. I eventually switched to the Apple Wireless keyboards so that my typing experience was always the same regardless of whether I was on my laptop or or desktop. It took a bit of getting used to, but now I'm actually much slower on mechanical keyboards. Having physical space between your keys (i.e. "chicklets) it objectively superior to feeling tactile feedback when depressing them.

Again, you're just used to it. This entire mechanical "craze" is just people feeling nostalgic about their old computers. That, or some people are just thick-skulled and unwilling to retrain their muscle memory. So they keep clickity-clacking away on their ridiculously loud keyboards while the rest of us chuckle under our breath.

The youth of today: It's always "I'm right" even though you can't provide any validation of your argument. It's fine. Just because every high end keyboard comes with mechanical keyboards and every reviewer provides information why they are better, it's still "I'm right" and "You're wrong".....

Imagine how fast you could type with a good keyboard giving you tactile feedback rather than a keyboard that just goes "squish"? Probably could hit triple digits and with a much higher accuracy. It's fine. You just be happy with your "pretty" and "quiet" keyboard.....
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:02 PM   #28
NMF
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
The youth of today: It's always "I'm right" even though you can't provide any validation of your argument. It's fine. Just because every high end keyboard comes with mechanical keyboards and every reviewer provides information why they are better, it's still "I'm right" and "You're wrong".....

Imagine how fast you could type with a good keyboard giving you tactile feedback rather than a keyboard that just goes "squish"? Probably could hit triple digits and with a much higher accuracy. It's fine. You just be happy with your "pretty" and "quiet" keyboard.....
I doubt that many would associate me with "the youth of today," I'm on the wrong end of my late 20's here. We could have attended high school together at one point.

The fact is I've used both and obviously started out on mechanical just like everyone else. I've been typing for a long time. I do see the value in keyboards designed to be ergonomic (and those are definitely some of the more hideous products on the market) but mechanical keys just aren't that important. If you're used to them and type better on them then more power to you, but to argue that they're inherently superior is just asinine. Having a decent amount of space between your keys is just as important. More important, in my opinion.

You type better/faster on mechanical because that's how you learned to type. That doesn't mean the keyboards are objectively better. They're just what you're used to.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" (2013) Mac mini (2011) OS X Server + Drobo 5D
AirPort Time Capsule (2013) iPhone 5 TV 3
NMF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:10 PM   #29
pastrychef
macrumors 68020
 
pastrychef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York City, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
I also used to use mechanical keyboards just like all of you sheep.
Listen, _-hole, I'm not telling you to use a mechanical keyboard. Use whatever the ____ you like. Don't call me a _______ sheep just because disagree with my opinion. What a ____.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
You type better/faster on mechanical because that's how you learned to type. That doesn't mean the keyboards are objectively better. They're just what you're used to.
Are you making this up along the way? As a baby, I learned to eat with plastic silverware, doesn't mean I eat slower with metal silverware now.
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 3.2x8 - 48GB - GTX 680 - Crucial M4 SSD - Dell 3007WFP-HC
Alu MacBook 5,1 2GHz C2D - 8GB - 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

Last edited by pastrychef; Oct 28, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
pastrychef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 01:17 PM   #30
mslide
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
You type better/faster on mechanical because that's how you learned to type. That doesn't mean the keyboards are objectively better. They're just what you're used to.
You're not going to find many people who would agree with any of your points. There's a reason why higher end keyboards tend to have mechanical switches and why so many people vouch for their superiority. Not every mechanical keyboard user is a sheep that uses them because some website told them to. It's not because it's what we're used to. It's because we've used both extensively and can definitely say the type of switch, among other things, makes a difference.

As for loudness, that depends on the switches and the person typing. There are lots of mechanical keyboards that, when paired with someone who types correctly, won't be very loud at all. I find that many, if not most, people use too much force when typing. It's those types of people that will be very loud on mechanical keyboards. Some of the loudest typers I work with use non-mechanical keyboards.

Nobody here is trying to force you to use a mechanical but to come on here and say that every mechanical keyboard user is just a sheep who only thinks they are better is what is asinine.

Last edited by mslide; Oct 28, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
mslide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 02:40 PM   #31
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Mechanical keyboards are loud to type on. Like, really loud.
Depends on the keyswitches used. Buckling spring keyboards, on the other hand, are all loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
It's almost inappropriate to use one with a Mac, in my opinion. You have this sexy little computer than makes almost no noise, and you want to a get a clickity-clackity keyboard that annoys every other person in the room with you? Makes no sense.
I don't see what one has to do with the other. I don't select buckling spring keyboards based on the noise level (or "sexiness") of my computer. I select them for typing feel. What truly makes no sense is assuming that your preferences are universal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Having physical space between your keys (i.e. "chicklets) it objectively superior to feeling tactile feedback when depressing them.
It's a subjective matter. Your preference != objective.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 02:46 PM   #32
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
. Having a decent amount of space between your keys is just as important. More important, in my opinion.

.

Just one comment on this post..... You do realize that even on a Mechanical keyboard, there is actually a space between the keys right? Infact, I would bet at on the actual surface you press on, there is generally MORE gap at the top between keys than on a chicklet keyboard. There might not be any plastic/aluminum between the keys, but there is still a substantial "gap" or "space" between the keys.

Invalidated.
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 02:49 PM   #33
Giuly
macrumors 68040
 
Giuly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
If you go ahead and take away all of their clickety-clickety mechanical glory, then the Quiet Pro/Tactile Pro still have the most fantastic ergonomics as everything is just rightly placed/sized/spaced/raised on them.

Matias also makes a similar Mac keyboard with rubber-dome switches for $32, and if the ergonomics are remotely like the Quiet Pro/Tactile Pro, then it will a great keyboard, too, even though that one uses rubber-dome switches.

What distinguishes it most from all the chiclets and rubber-domes around is this:


It's great for usability, but it got out of fashion somewhere in the late 90ies.

Last edited by Giuly; Oct 29, 2013 at 01:04 AM.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 02:56 PM   #34
Alrescha
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, MA
You kids do not even know what a real mechanical keyboard feels like. You have not lived until you have typed on an IBM 3278* keyboard ca. 1975. PC keyboards? Of *any* era? Bah, humbug. :-)

A.

* For the curious, these were "beam spring" keyboards, a precursor to the buckling spring technology that everyone gushes about now.

Last edited by Alrescha; Oct 28, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Alrescha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 03:17 PM   #35
Giuly
macrumors 68040
 
Giuly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
_

Last edited by Giuly; Oct 29, 2013 at 01:04 AM.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple mechanical keyboard MacHaris Mac Peripherals 7 Jun 16, 2014 08:28 PM
mechanical keyboard - Das Keyboard or Metias? Rossatron Mac Peripherals 9 Apr 14, 2014 09:01 PM
recommendation for external mechanical keyboard for mac? oldguru MacBook Pro 4 Nov 20, 2013 12:45 PM
Mechanical Keyboard Questions... minisuds7 Mac Peripherals 14 Jan 3, 2013 07:55 PM
Mechanical Keyboard Custom Keycaps bdaetgibson Mac Peripherals 1 Dec 25, 2012 07:59 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC