Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
If people act like fools, they deserve to be regarded as fools.

I have no idea why I'm getting involved in this thread, but...yeah. This. The woman freaked out over a bog standard counterfeit bill check that's done for every bill over $20 no matter who you are or where you're at. She not only slapped the guy in response, but spit on him as well. That's just low. Then as we all saw, she and her idiot friends attempted to trash the place, which...guess what...the employees would've had to clean up afterwards.

I can understand trying to be the better, reasonable man in a situation, but there's a point when push should come to shove. She reached that point.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I know it's wrong to hit a woman

Why? They want equality and they got it.

If they want to be treated the same as men in addition to receiving special treatment because of their gender, then they end up having more rights than men. Thus, there is no equality.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Wow, it's discouraging to see all the talk about people deserving to be disrespected or treated in a negative way.

Listen to the amazing wisdom of the great Run D.M.C on the matter.

"You see, I want respect, if I'm correct, they're all like a ball that I have checked..."

Showing someone respect is a reflection of you and your character; it has nothing to do with them. We can't control how others treat us, but we definitely are in control of how we treat them.

Wow tell us what it's like living in Narnia!

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Wow, it's discouraging to see all the talk about people deserving to be disrespected or treated in a negative way.

Listen to the amazing wisdom of the great Run D.M.C on the matter.

"You see, I want respect, if I'm correct, they're all like a ball that I have checked..."

Showing someone respect is a reflection of you and your character; it has nothing to do with them. We can't control how others treat us, but we definitely are in control of how we treat them.

That works up until the point you're dealing with idiots and criminals who attempt to assault you and steal from the place you work.

So it's cute and fun to take the fluffy high-cloud approach, but in the real world, "there are some people you just can't reach".

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
People like that deserve to be casually disrespected. Don't really see an issue here. How about you not be a ****** person and things like this aren't going to happen to you.

As someone else said, people like this deserve to be "casually disrespected".

You're living in a fantasy world. If people act like fools, they deserve to be regarded as fools.

Wow tell us what it's like living in Narnia!

That works up until the point you're dealing with idiots and criminals who attempt to assault you and steal from the place you work.

So it's cute and fun to take the fluffy high-cloud approach, but in the real world, "there are some people you just can't reach".

No one ever said not to defend yourself if or when attacked. Of course one should take whatever action necessary to protect themselves when physically assaulted. Although, we all know that in most cases people have an opportunity to walk away or avoid an altercation.

Just to be clear, my comments were not directed at the video presented by the OP. As some other posters have already said, it represents some truly disgusting behavior from all parties involved.

My comments were directed at the judgmental attitude reflected in many of the posts from this thread. There's never an excuse for judging a person's value simply based on their appearance or your perception of them. Additionally, we should be careful about assuming we know someone's character based on isolated behavior. We've all made mistakes and we would hate to have someone judge us by something we did when we were at our worst. A repeated pattern of behavior is different, but that does not seem to be what people are talking about in this thread.

I have many friends in law enforcement and they all talk about how important it is to always show respect to people when on the job. And we all know that when an officer does act disrespectfully toward someone people are quick to say that they should "know better" and are held to a higher standard. The truth is we should all hold ourselves to a higher standard.

I just think we should be very careful about saying people "deserve" such and such to happen to them or that people are entitled to view a person in a certain way. That kind of attitude reflects a feeling of superiority that denies responsibility, places blame, and devalues others. We are all responsible for our own attitude, specifically how we view/treat others. Be slow to pass judgment on others or assume that you know someone.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I'd have stuck their faces in the chip fryer. They got off lightly.

But they're women, so you cant do anything, you have to take the beating.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
At first the guy defended himself, then he went too far. Sad that people say they 'deserved' it etc, it shows plenty of people still can't control their primitive emotions. Those women deserve to be arrested and convicted, that guy deserves to be fired and at least given a caution if not arrested too.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
These kinds of videos always make me uncomfortable, and the resulting conversation almost equally so.

To the people who say "He should have just called the police." Then what? Sit there taking their beating for the next 10 minutes until police show up? Let them trash the place? At what point do we say "enough is enough" with these trash people and give them the response they deserve? They lay it out....give it back.

And to the people saying "we need to give them respect"...say whaaaaaaat? I try to give everyone who deserves it, and maybe even a few who don't, respect. But to say you should just stand back and let people who will jump the counter to beat and spit on a fast food employee, and give them respect...what world are you living in? If you ask me, that's exactly what has gotten us into this position. You lead these people to believe that nothing that they do is wrong, and they will progressively get worse.

And then you get the people (I don't think there have been any in this thread), who say "you should NEVER hit a woman." That should work only up until the woman starts to deliver you a beating. I wanted a video once where a whole gaggle of women started beating their party bus driver with purses, shoes, yard drink containers, really laying a beat down on him. When he hit one back, they started screaming "Oh my God! He hit a woman!!!" Seriously?? In what world is that acceptable?

I'm sorry, but I think the two class-acts who jumped the counter got what they deserved. It might have gone a little too far, and maybe that employee should be let go But you give two trash-acting people the beatdown they deserve, maybe it will clean them up and make them think twice about the next time.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
To the people who say "He should have just called the police." Then what? Sit there taking their beating for the next 10 minutes until police show up? Let them trash the place? At what point do we say "enough is enough" with these trash people and give them the response they deserve? They lay it out....give it back.

And to the people saying "we need to give them respect"...say whaaaaaaat? I try to give everyone who deserves it, and maybe even a few who don't, respect. But to say you should just stand back and let people who will jump the counter to beat and spit on a fast food employee, and give them respect...what world are you living in? If you ask me, that's exactly what has gotten us into this position. You lead these people to believe that nothing that they do is wrong, and they will progressively get worse.

Treating people with respect means respecting them even when they don't respect you or themselves. Why are people assuming that having respect for someone means allowing them to treat you however they want. This situation and others like it are not limited to just two options. It's not just take a beating or fight back. In the OP's video there were a variety of things the specific employee and the McDonald's crew could have done. In fact all restaurants, fast food or not, should have a plan for what to do when a patron becomes aggressive. The specific employee could have simply walked away from the escalation and gone into the back room. Instead he went to obtain a "weapon" and came back to deliver his own justice.

In any crisis situation the desired outcome is de-escalation and the neutralization of any potential threat to the safety of those involved. Neutralizing the threat of danger has nothing to do with "teaching someone a lesson" or "giving them what they deserve". When someone begins to be motivated by such thoughts they have crossed a line. What I hear some people proposing in this thread is prejudice, vigilante justice, "payback" and abuse.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Treating people with respect means respecting them even when they don't respect you or themselves. Why are people assuming that having respect for someone means allowing them to treat you however they want.

Not everyone deserves respect. They just don't. That doesn't mean you scream at them or stab them in the throat, but if someone is acting like a pompous ******* to me, I'm not going to be respectful back. Why on earth would I respect them???

This situation and others like it are not limited to just two options. It's not just take a beating or fight back. In the OP's video there were a variety of things the specific employee and the McDonald's crew could have done. In fact all restaurants, fast food or not, should have a plan for what to do when a patron becomes aggressive. The specific employee could have simply walked away from the escalation and gone into the back room. Instead he went to obtain a "weapon" and came back to deliver his own justice.

In any crisis situation the desired outcome is de-escalation and the neutralization of any potential threat to the safety of those involved. Neutralizing the threat of danger has nothing to do with "teaching someone a lesson" or "giving them what they deserve". When someone begins to be motivated by such thoughts they have crossed a line. What I hear some people proposing in this thread is prejudice, vigilante justice, "payback" and abuse.

If your signature is true, and you are indeed a professional therapist, then I see where you are coming from. My ex-girlfriend was a professional therapist type, and in her mind, everything could be solved by simply talking it out or just smiling and saying "thaaaaat's OK". I'm pretty sure that walking into the back room would not have caused this situation to die down. In fact, it was pretty much over as soon as he whipped those girls to the ground. Had he just walked away, they likely would have started on someone else or gone back into the kitchen area to continue with him.

I'm not saying that if someone cuts you off in traffic that you should go smash their window with a rake, but if two out-of-control ghetto types jump you, I say give them the beat-down. And yes, they deserve it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.