Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenjaminB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Hello people!

I've got a 13" 2012 MacBook Air. Few days ago i purchased this mini displayport > HDMI adapter(Not in the cheap category, 30$ or so). But it just won't work and i honestly can't think of any more solutions.

When i plug it in, my screen turns blue for a few seconds and my monitor does register something as unplugging and plugging the cable in again can wake it up from standby. But the external monitor just says "HDMI - No signal"

I've literally tried everything so far...

Reset the NRAM
Reset System Preferences
Reboot with the adapter plugged in
Do a disk utility fix
Tried to connect it to 2 of my HDTV's no without luck neither
In Sys Pref > Display I've tried the "Search for screen" option about 100 times now, nothing happens. Also only options I've got available in the 'Display' section is: Screen And Colors, I'm missing the third option "Arrengement".
Tried to connect it to 2 of my HDTV's no without luck neither

So if you have any suggestion/solution please feel free to leave a post. :)

Best Regards

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I suggest returning/replacing the mini displayport > HDMI adapter.

To see if your computer's displayport might be the problem, borrow an adapter and see if it works. If multiple different adapters fail, it's more likely the problem lies with the computer.

You should also independently confirm your HDMI monitors work, by plugging them into a different HDMI source.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I picked up a Monoprice mini displayport to VGA adapter. It's too big to fit without blocking the firewire port next to it so I bought the $30 Apple adapter and it works fine with a 1080p external monitor. I've never had a problem connecting a monitor and having my Mac "see" it immediately so I would suggest you return your cable and try another one. I also suggest you take your MBA to the store and test the cable in the store with one of their monitors. If it works in the store, you are good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.