Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
ok here's my setup in my theater. mac mini 2012 hdmi out to a pioneer elite sc-35 which handles the hdmi switching to my jvc rs45 projector. if I do it this way the picture has dot crawl in red on the screen. also I loose audio from the hdmi output after a few seconds. if I switch inputs to say hdmi on the reciver to hdmi 3 which is the mini the sound will come one for about 5 seconds. if I hook the mini directly to the projector the picture is perfect with no dot crawl. I also tried display port to hdmi instead of just the hdmi. I am running osx 10.81 my net is down from storm so I haven't updated yet. any ideas? this is my third mini that has run my theater so i'm pretty familiar with them. I tried various hdmi inputs on my receiver and a different hdmi cable as well. thanks for any help!

locomotive282

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Carson, CA
Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue with between the Pioneer Receiver and the Mac Mini. Does your receiver have the latest firmware update? What sort of cable run lengths are we talking? Like distance between mini and receiver and receiver and projector? Are all your cables 1.4 HDMI and what brand?

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue with between the Pioneer Receiver and the Mac Mini. Does your receiver have the latest firmware update? What sort of cable run lengths are we talking? Like distance between mini and receiver and receiver and projector? Are all your cables 1.4 HDMI and what brand?

I was wondering about the hdmi cable myself, I had similar issues with my mini with my kuro plasma my 1.3 rev cables didnt work but my new 1.4 did.

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
using mediabridge from amazon use them for the ps3 the dtv and the mini they work flawless for the other two. also work for 3d from ps3 and dtv boxes.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
ok here's my setup in my theater. mac mini 2012 hdmi out to a pioneer elite sc-35 which handles the hdmi switching to my jvc rs45 projector. if I do it this way the picture has dot crawl in red on the screen. also I loose audio from the hdmi output after a few seconds. if I switch inputs to say hdmi on the reciver to hdmi 3 which is the mini the sound will come one for about 5 seconds. if I hook the mini directly to the projector the picture is perfect with no dot crawl. I also tried display port to hdmi instead of just the hdmi. I am running osx 10.81 my net is down from storm so I haven't updated yet. any ideas? this is my third mini that has run my theater so i'm pretty familiar with them. I tried various hdmi inputs on my receiver and a different hdmi cable as well. thanks for any help!

Mine worked with a 5308 denon and jvc rs2. used two old hdmi cables that I connected using a female adapter just to test, so I doubt that's a problem. I did have to disconnect the VGA monitor in order for HD iTunes movies to play.

Try disconnecting any additional monitors.

Try connecting directly to the projector to rule out anything.

try a shorter hdmi run.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I've got one of the Pioneer vsx1021 receivers. It's quite finicky about the order devices have to be turned on to work. I have to turn on my cable box and Panasonic 42" LCD TV first (and the TV has to be fully on; ~10 secs) then I can turn on the receiver. It takes a few seconds for the HDCP handshake to complete before everything comes on.

If I turn on the receiver first, or immediately after I turn on the YV without giving it that few seconds, the HDCP seems to fail (doesn't give any error, you just don't see the HDMI light come on the receiver). And the only way I can get it to work is to unplug the receiver, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in and start again. (I've gone through and turned off all the HDMI control settings off, but it doesn't seem to make any difference).

Not sure if your receiver is as finicky, but thought I'd share my experience.

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
when I connect straight to pj it works fine. my issues come with the audio at that point. I have a fair amount of money invested into the sound. I have 6 a paradigm speakers for the front 3 and 4 in wall rears and two subwoofers. I have a 7.2 setup and really don't want to only have stereo sound. I don't mind reprogramming my Logitech remote to hdmi 2 for the mini and buying an extra hdmi cable to hookup. my main concern at this point is getting the audio not to cut out.

locomotive282

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Carson, CA
when I connect straight to pj it works fine. my issues come with the audio at that point. I have a fair amount of money invested into the sound. I have 6 a paradigm speakers for the front 3 and 4 in wall rears and two subwoofers. I have a 7.2 setup and really don't want to only have stereo sound. I don't mind reprogramming my Logitech remote to hdmi 2 for the mini and buying an extra hdmi cable to hookup. my main concern at this point is getting the audio not to cut out.

You do not need two HDMI cables. Again update your receiver firmware if necessary, then make sure your using HDMI 1.4 cables, lastly if you have any runs of more than 12 feet in the chain you need to use Monoprice Redmere Cables. The Redmere cables have integrated repeaters that minimize signal degradation over long cable runs. Another reason I hate HDMI.

I would focus on the Pioneer Receiver as the source of the HDMI Handshake Problem as the straight connect to the Projector works.

Also open the MIDI/Audio Utility and make sure the settings are correct there. Out of the box my mini was not streaming Dolby Digital to my Onkyo receiver until I fixed the settings in the utility.

locomotive282

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Carson, CA
I was playing with the Display settings and found that if you set the HDMI output resolution to anything other than standard video output like 1080p, 720p, or 480p the HDCP wont be successful and the audio output is disabled to the receiver. Do you have a scaled resolution output setting?

PiroPhosphoric

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
Have you tried to put the AudioMIDI settings in "stereo 48.000 Hz"?

In spite of the naming, it seems to send HD audio output through HDMI if you choose that configuration, and the mini does not reset the audio. I learnt it in this Forum, but I had forgotten until today.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I have HDMI handshake problems with a Mac Mini 2012 and Epson 5020UBe projector.
My old Mac Mini 2010 worked fine! There are definitely HDMI problems with this new Mac Mini :mad:

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012

every Pioneer have video conversion enabled by default. On your remote, you should have an audio option and a video button. Make sure the receiver and mac mini are turned on, go into the video options (which is not the SETUP menu) and turn video conversion OFF. This will disable any video processing for that input only. You way wish to turn it off for other video outputs too.

i had video lag on my xbox which I fixed by turning it off. I don't really need it either, each device that I plug in have 1080p signals going out, no reason to keep that thing on.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
So what is the best way to get the computer to output correctly to the receiver and projector?
Computer to projector is not really an ideal method for me because my projector is mounted to the ceiling and having wires hanging from top to computer is not acceptable...

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
OMG, I'm totally not selling my mid-2010 Mini now. Sorry and thank you for posting all of these HDCP i/o nightmares.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
OMG, I'm totally not selling my mid-2010 Mini now. Sorry and thank you for posting all of these HDCP i/o nightmares.

JamesPDX!
You do realize that this batch of "nightmares" is almost three years old, right? At the time, these folks were talking about brand new computers running Mountain Lion. ;)

Does your necropost really mean that you intend to reject features like USB 3.0, Quad-Core i7 CPU, PCIe Storage, 802.11 AC WiFi, and the other enhancements because you have contracted a case of HDMI Panic? :eek:

I hope not pal. The spores that caused that outbreak should be harmless in 2015 with El Capitan in pre-release mode. :cool:

Reactions: JamesPDX

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
JamesPDX!
You do realize that this batch of "nightmares" is almost three years old, right? At the time, these folks were talking about brand new computers running Mountain Lion. ;)

Does your necropost really mean that you intend to reject features like USB 3.0, Quad-Core i7 CPU, PCIe Storage, 802.11 AC WiFi, and the other enhancements because you have contracted a case of HDMI Panic? :eek:

I hope not pal. The spores that caused that outbreak should be harmless in 2015 with El Capitan in pre-release mode. :cool:

Not at all. My main machine is the 2012 Mini. The 2010 is an amazing HTPC. But you did read the post, for which you get points for following up, as did I. Special. Magical. Points. :eek:

Reactions: Celerondon

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Not at all. My main machine is the 2012 Mini. The 2010 is an amazing HTPC. But you did read the post, for which you get points for following up, as did I. Special. Magical. Points. :eek:

Thanks for that points reminder JamesPDX! I will tuck these away with my 2012 mini user points.

Which 2012 mini do you have? It seems as if you might have two Macs that are Not For Sale. ;)

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Thanks for that points reminder JamesPDX! I will tuck these away with my 2012 mini user points.

Which 2012 mini do you have? It seems as if you might have two Macs that are Not For Sale. ;)

Oh man! I raced to BB and bought the last [Late 2012/2.3/i7] they had about a year ago. And my 2005 G4 Mini 1.42 Ghz, 1GB OS 10.4.11 isn't for sale either: I can record 16 simultaneous 24/44.1 tracks into Pro Tools 7 LE in a pinch. I like to have backup systems. Looking for that "just right" Mac Pro: something that won't throttle under continuous heavy CPU/GPU loads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.