Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
They all told me because it was cheaper (free with 2 year contract). Not one of them mentioned customization or specs at all. They don't even know how to use the majority of the features and options. They didn't even know about the Play Store!

And that's why Apple wins out in the end. Whoever is making those phones is making them at miserable margins, and they aren't even helping Google, since 99% of the people who buy them don't actually use Google services.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
No wonder Apple won't EVER provide us more freedom - female / old users just don't want more freedom.

Out in public, at college football games, in Starbucks etc, your assessment is extremely accurate.

Young women below 35 are drawn to Android, and unlike the haters claim its not price. A Galaxy S3 is the same exact upgrade price as an iPhone 5 - $199. A Galaxy Note 2 is even more at $299. Yet that doesn't deter those who know the great value & functionality of that model.

Soccer moms 35 or older and senior citizens like simple small iPhones. It's part vanity, they love to be seen with the Apple logo, the other part is a simple camera & phone.

Apple knows its target market well.

----------

they aren't even helping Google, since 99% of the people who buy them don't actually use Google services.

For accuracy please post a link to the 99% statistic please. Thanks :)

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
It may happened to YOU. In my practice, I see the opposite: females prefer iPhones to Android phones. Unfortunately, they're the vast majority when compared to computer literate people wanting as much freedom as with Android (that is, power users). No wonder Apple won't EVER provide us more freedom - female / old users just don't want more freedom.

Another thing about females, most that I've seen have the bigger screened devices. It kind of reminds me of the big sunglasses fad. :D

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Out in public, at college football games, in Starbucks etc, your assessment is extremely accurate.

Young women below 35 are drawn to Android, and unlike the haters claim its not price. A Galaxy S3 is the same exact upgrade price as an iPhone 5 - $199. A Galaxy Note 2 is even more at $299. Yet that doesn't deter those who know the great value & functionality of that model.

Soccer moms 35 or older and senior citizens like simple small iPhones. It's part vanity, they love to be seen with the Apple logo, the other part is a simple camera & phone.

Apple knows its target market well.

----------

For accuracy please post a link to the 99% statistic please. Thanks :)

You and I both know, carriers always run specials on Android devices so please stop acting like they are always the same price. Amazon also run specials on Android devices as well. I've never, in my life, seen a carrier or online retailer run specials such as BOGO on new Apple devices.

Do you really think the majority of the Android market worldwide own Android flagship devices?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.