Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Depends. Rumors are they will be even thinner and more bezel-less than the previous mini. With no retina, I'd probably sell my mini and get a mini 2 if the design is right.

Thinner and even more Bezelless??? that would be one ugly tablet to go along with ugly low res screen and price you 329.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Thinner and even more Bezelless??? that would be one ugly tablet to go along with ugly low res screen and price you 329.

I dont think so. I think it looks amazing. A true edge to edge screen (including to and bottom) would be a perfect device to me.

Rumored iPad mini 2:
iPad-mini-2-final-design-leaked-2.jpg

My dream device:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s2oYUy_cVY

Chub

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2013
To be honest I feel Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot if the new Mini didn't have a retina display, but nonetheless Apple know that their 'loyal' fans will still buy it and defend it over the new Nexus 7.

In my point of view however if this new Mini doesn't have a better screen, I'm giving my money to Google. Otherwise I couldn't care much for iOS 7.

Edit: That picture above wants me to buy a new Nexus even more. I don't know what it is but it just doesn't look right with no bezel at the sides. Even though iOS can detect accidental input, surely we would have to hold on to the screen if we were using it in landscape, thus making the bezel less display obsolete.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You're only kidding yourself.

The last one was sold close enough to cost of parts that the tiny profit couldn't cover r&d, design, packaging, etc. Without googles other revenue streams to subsidize it, the N7 would be a money loosing proposition.

This isn't a slight against Google, it's smart and if the retina mini costs even more to make it will be partially subsidized by Apples other revenue, like the AppStore, to keep the price the same.

Googles ad revenue allows them to do many things which would otherwise be unprofitable, like rapidly develop two OSes.

Last edited:

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
USA
Yes, I use both a Nexus 7 and an iPad Mini. I have most of the same apps on both platforms but the iOS versions win because too many time, the Android versions are just scaled up phone versions with no tablet version, like on iOS.

I've been using a Nexus 7 since February and an iPad Mini since June. If I had bought the mini before the Nexus 7, I never would have bought the Nexus 7 at the time. It's all about the apps and to me, the apps clearly win on iOS.

Even simple things in apps using Netflix as an example make iOS a win. Netflix auto plays the next episode in a TV season, doesn't do that on Android.

My local news app lets me watch their live newscast using the app. Can't do that on the android version. Have to go to the website to watch the news.

I've been seriously enjoying this iPad Mini, and buying it in June has allowed me to have so much fun with this. Doesn't matter that it's not retina. It's still so colorful and crisp and I've had two months to use it while others are arguing about waiting on retina displays.

Good to know, I'll have to consider that! Great perspective, thanks.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Glad to see many people agreeing with me. I have almost stopped using my mini for browsing/reading since I got a hd android tab for 120$ which renders sharper text. In comparison, the mini screen feels really disappointing. I'm only using mini for gaming/Audio and video which it is excellent at.

I'll be ordering nexus Fhd soon.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just bought a second iPad Mini last week, so I don't agree entirely. We have 7" Samsung tablets, and they're annoying to scroll around websites with. They are much better at movies and Angry Pigs IMO. A retina Mini would be nice, but I like the current Mini's screen size, light weight, and build quality. We have iPad 4's as well, but they're a bulky and heavy compared to the Mini for carrying around.

I would agree that minus a retina display, buying the next incarnation of the Mini might not be worth it for me. Our Mini's are still functioning perfectly, and unless they reduced the weight by 50%, or did something else dramatic, there's not much else to improve on.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I just bought a second iPad Mini last week, so I don't agree entirely. We have 7" Samsung tablets, and they're annoying to scroll around websites with. They are much better at movies and Angry Pigs IMO. A retina Mini would be nice, but I like the current Mini's screen size, light weight, and build quality. We have iPad 4's as well, but they're a bulky and heavy compared to the Mini for carrying around.

I would agree that minus a retina display, buying the next incarnation of the Mini might not be worth it for me. Our Mini's are still functioning perfectly, and unless they reduced the weight by 50%, or did something else dramatic, there's not much else to improve on.

I've owned couple of those 7" Samsungs. They were all horribly laggy, the web browser on them is almost unusable. Actually all of Samsung's offerings have a certain lag to them, even the current flagship models. The Nexus 7 even the old one is silky smooth, the new Nexus 7 even more so.

I just bought the new Nexus 7. I prefer using it over my iPad mini, except the web browser - Chrome browser on the Nexus 7, touchscreen is not very responsive for some reason, a lot of times clicks don't register.

Apple must up the screen resolution on the next Mini, if there's even a 7.9" 2048x1536 display in existence... I doubt Apple will use one of the vanilla 1920x1080 displays out there as all apps will look horrible.

jonathanxx1

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Apple needs to lower the price on all of their device and boost up the specs, theres no justification of these boosted up price.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Assuming retina is a given, my decision on whether to get a Mini or 5 is dependent on the CPU/GPU/ram combo in the retina mini. The lack of ram in the current Mini annoys me more than the low res - I went in with my eyes open with the low res screen, but the reloading of tabs/apps is markedly inferior than on my iPhone 5 or even my iPad 3. Some say its not so bad - I'm not one of those people, the refreshing and flushing of memory spoils my experience.

Ideally, a mini would come along with exact same specs as the 5, but that won't happen in a million years due to the lower pricing. Basically, I'd like an iPad Mini Pro if you will.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
Glad to see many people agreeing with me. I have almost stopped using my mini for browsing/reading since I got a hd android tab for 120$ which renders sharper text. In comparison, the mini screen feels really disappointing. I'm only using mini for gaming/Audio and video which it is excellent at.

I'll be ordering nexus Fhd soon.

The mini literally gave me headaches within seconds so I returned it 3 hours after I bought it the day it debuted last fall. What tablet that's mini sized with a retina screen do you recommend?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
The mini literally gave me headaches within seconds so I returned it 3 hours after I bought it the day it debuted last fall. What tablet that's mini sized with a retina screen do you recommend?

Hard to argue against the new Nexus 7 if you're going Android. If I get an iPad 5, I may plump for the cheapest cellular N7 for pocket/on the road purposes. Won't be making any decisions until Apple plays its cards though.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
If there's no Retina, I think I'm just going to get the new Nexus 7.

If some eTextbooks for college and I'm currently using my iPad 1 which is slow and big/heavy.

Want something a lot more compact.

ArizonaKid

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Arizona
Last Friday I bought a new Nexus 7.2 with a gorgeous hi res display that's within just four or five pixels of what Apple calls retina. For a full $100 less than I paid for the mini, it proves what's possible.

In confused by this statement. Apple calls 264 DPI retina on the iPad. The new Nexus 7 pushes over 320 DPI which is well above retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.