Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ty7u5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Have you ever had you iPhone docked or streaming to your speakers, and decided you just want to skip the song? Happens all the time right? As we all know the new Moto X has a feature that works like this tied into Google Now. Users will simply say, "OK Google Now" and it will allow to complete certain key tasks, like shutting off alarms, controling media, etc. Would it not be possible for Apple to include this as an exclusive iOS 7 feature for the 'new iPhone"? Could we say "OK Siri"? Would you find this useful. Weigh in down below!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I would welcome it. There are going to be a bunch of paranoid responses (at least there was when MR posted something about the Moto X) regarding the phone "always listening". Technically they can do that now, if they really wanted to, so I am not sure what the big deal is.

That said, this isn't really something I am expecting them to announce. But it would be a welcomed surprise, and a feature that, IF IT WORKS RIGHT (siri has been hit or miss for me though it seems good in iOS 7), would get me to buy th enext iPhone.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
What happens when, in a cube farm as many of us work in, someone says "Ok Siri" and 4 phones respond? :D

mama-exo

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2013
What happens when, in a cube farm as many of us work in, someone says "Ok Siri" and 4 phones respond? :D

If Siri was really smart, then we'd just be able to say, it's me (Tom) or whoever.

But Siri doesn't have a memory.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Have you ever had you iPhone docked or streaming to your speakers, and decided you just want to skip the song? Happens all the time right? As we all know the new Moto X has a feature that works like this tied into Google Now. Users will simply say, "OK Google Now" and it will allow to complete certain key tasks, like shutting off alarms, controling media, etc. Would it not be possible for Apple to include this as an exclusive iOS 7 feature for the 'new iPhone"? Could we say "OK Siri"? Would you find this useful. Weigh in down below!
Already available without Apple. You have to be jailbroken though. It's in Cydia.

Hands Free Control.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

The way that Google's implementation works is you have to teach the phone your voice on first use of the function. I believe you tell the phone "OK Google Now" three times and then it will not activate unless it is your voice talking to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.