Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Christmas has come a little early in our house. I've been "window" shopping far too long for an audio interface to use with my MBP13. I finally pulled the trigger on the Presonus 1818vsl.

The 8 mic pres are for peace of mind. I'm not likely to need them all at once for a while, but they may reduce the amount of plugging and re-plugging. Another idea is to stereo mic everything--I'll need more mics.

There's even a free control surface app I can run on my iPad3.

I've hooked it all up. The ML drivers are solid. It came bundled with Studio One 2.5 Artist. I'll fool around with that for a while. I'd like to get LogicX when it arrives. Wow, the headphone amp has power!

I'm just a DIY home musician these days (married, we have 7 month old, I'm finishing a degree) but I'm not without knowledge and skill. Music theory is a hobby of mine; I compose; I sing; I play bluegrass, jazz, Old-time, and contemporary styles on various instruments. I can't wait to start putting projects together!

I'll update you all as I gain experience. Do I have to wrap it back up until Dec 25?

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
Why wrap it up? You already know what it is ;).

Honestly presonus preamps surprised me the first time. They are a bit colored but perfect for home studios and pair great with some rhode nt1s.

As for mics I'm not sure how many line inputs you have but you could always run a scratch guitar to it while doing drums. 8 mics on drums is plenty.

I really like senheisers kick, paired with 87s, and oktavas or Rhodes for overheads.

Oktavas give you some great options with the stereo, omni, and hyper caps.

The rhode can double for vocals though.

Another great vocal mic is from adk its a akg 414 knock off that's a bit colored but for 160 ish its worth checking out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.