Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
not even had it 2 weeks yet and the left cmd key has broken. i don't have a clue how it happened. i've been babying my new air. i freaked out when i saw it's first scratch (thanks to my cat).

came home on saturday and noticed that the left cmd key wasn't pressing down. upon further inspection i saw a small piece of plastic stuck. managed to remove it with the help of a needle. didn't remove the cap in the process.

the key works fine but obviously something has broken underneath and now the key is loose. i'm not happy that this has happened to a computer i bought only 2 weeks ago. if it had happened in a year or two from now then sure, fine, **** happens.

i'm not going to even attempt to remove the key cap incase it breaks any further and i'm not paying for a new cap/scissor mechanism. i just paid £1079 for this machine.

i've booked an appointment with the genius bar tomorrow. will they do anything? if it comes to it then i will just need to buy a replacement cap/scissor mechanism. how easy is it to replace it?

thanks!!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
will they do anything?
Yes, they'll most likely replace either the key, the keyboard or your Mac if it's determined that the problem is a manufacturing defect and not the result of abuse or accident.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Yes, they'll most likely replace either the key, the keyboard or your Mac if it's determined that the problem is a manufacturing defect and not the result of abuse or accident.

the key works absolutely fine. it's just something underneath has broken. i suspect the cap but could possibly be the scissor mechanism. i'm not willing to remove the cap to inspect it incase it causes further trouble. abuse/accident is definitely not the case. i wouldn't abuse a new machine and i've taken care of the air.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
the key works absolutely fine. it's just something underneath his broken. i suspect the cap but could possibly be the scissor mechanism. i'm not willing to remove the cap to inspect it incase it causes further trouble.
That is wise. Just let the Genius Bar handle it.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
my first 2012 mac air arrived with a broken "s" key ... it sounded crunchy!
i got a replacement and fine so far but there are times when it feels like a key might "go" ... loving my 11" air .. took a while to get used to the small screen after a 15" mbp but now totally happy size wise :)

m just having trouble finding a slisleeve for it, toe i bout on ebay stamf neoprene so much even after washing, leave out in the rain and scrubing it.

RoadCyclistID

Contributor
Oct 18, 2007
Idaho
My comma key stopped working after 3 weeks. I took it back to the Apple store and he had it fixed in 3 minutes. They pulled the key off and reset it. All good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.