Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinchivers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Bath, Somerset, UK
my 18month old 27 inch iMac, has developed a couple of problems in the last week or so. Firstly the brightness level (overall) is intermittently dropping down. Its like its about to hibernate/sleep, but doesn't. It often does this while typing or using the computer in some way. It stays at a lower level for a few seconds normally, then back up to normal brightness,

The second issue is again intermittent (the worst type of fault!) In that the left had side of the monitor intermittently goes darker. THIS DOESNT rectify itself, until the mouse is moved or clicked. Approximately half of the screen is effected by this.

Anybody any experience of this, (or similar) happening? I assume the warranty is 12 months in the UK.

martinchivers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Bath, Somerset, UK
still not resolved...

I am still experiencing quite severe problems with this. I have done the first mod, to add a piece of card or foam to the gap between the actual LCD panel & the glass cover. This has worked for 10 minutes or an hour, or so but soon reverts back. After a false start, when I have the correct screwdriver. I have been able to remove the screws & tip the panel forward. I have watched the U--Tube video, showing how to remove the 3 leads, but wasn't able to do it. The instructions are quite vaige. Can anybody describe fully how to remove the connections without doing any damage? Also, once the panel is removed, what exactly do I do, with the LCD connector? I cant find anything now, that actually describes the modification itself. I do not want to solder anything, could the connector be taped in? or maybe glued? I cannot afford to mess this up!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
In the UK you should have longer warranty especially for expensive gear.

I think it's even up to 6 years for expensive gear.

You possibly have a bad connector or backlighting problems.

Right now I don't have links for warranty, maybe you could start a new Thread asking about warranty and your rights in the UK.
You could also search here on MR, there are threads about European warranty and they normally say it's higher in the UK than the rest of the UK.

Edit: Maybe you should read this: Apple Products and EU Statutory Warranty

Last edited:

martinchivers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Bath, Somerset, UK
thanks. No, the warranty in UK is 12 months. I have spoken to Applecare & they couldn't! (CARE - that is!) My problem!!!

I have 2 choices, I can attempt repair myself or pay for Apple to do it. However, the plug HAS a design fault so if replaced, would probably go again in another 18 months or so.

I have dropped the LCD forward & wiggled the plug around but that hasn't made any difference. Im also worried about pulling the plug connections off to remove the LCD altogether, as they are tight & appear quite delicate!

I paid £1500 for this machine & its supposed to be a premium product! I just cannot understand why Apple don't hold their hands up & admit there is a fault & issue redesigned cables with replacement plugs.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Sure Apple will say they will not fix it, but as far as I know plenty of people (UK) go back with their defective gear and end up getting it fixed.

There were a few articles on MR's main page and a lot of discussion afterwards, one article was that Italy fined Apple a considerable amount of money because they misinformed people.

Read the comments following these articles, there are people from the UK which will tell you you have more rights than you think.

Apple Fined $1.2 Million in Italy Over Warranty Disclosure Issues ...

Apple Fined Another $260,000 By Italian Regulators Over ...

Apple Fined $1.2 Million in Italy Over Warranty Disclosure Issues ...

Apple Facing Potential Suspension of Italian Sales Amid Warranty ...

Apple Fined Another $260,000 By Italian Regulators Over ...

martinchivers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Bath, Somerset, UK
they simply say, its out of warranty & that I could have bought an extended (applecare) warranty, and as I didn't, Im on my own!

I never dreamt in a million years that I would have this problem, after 18 months!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Anybody any experience of this, (or similar) happening? I assume the warranty is 12 months in the UK.

The manufacturer's warranty is 12 months.

The seller (that is the store where you bought, which may be Apple, which may be someone else) is responsible that the goods you bought are of reasonable quality. Half of the screen going dark within 18 months is not reasonable quality. Usually a computer should last at least for two years. The problem is that it is up to you to show that the problem is due to a fault that was present when you received the computer.

So go to the seller (Apple store if you bought it there, you can go to an Apple store if you bought from Apple online, or the store where you bought the Mac) and ask them to fix the problem, as the seller. Take a witness with you. If they say that the warranty is 12 months, you tell them that this has nothing to do with warranty, that they have to fix it because of the sales of goods act and because the goods were not of satisfactory quality. (To be clear, Apple doesn't have to fix it and won't fix it if you bought at PCWorld, for example. PCWorld has to).

If they say they are not going to fix it because it's out of warranty, you have won. You go to the small claims court with your witness. If they say they are not going to fix it because they don't think the problem is due to a fault that was present when the Mac was bought, then you have lost. You may have to find an expert examining your Mac and giving you an expert opinion that the fault was present at the date of the sale. You go back with that, they have to fix it, and refund the cost for the expert.

I read that Apple Store policy is to have their "genius" look at the product, and if he decides it was Apple's fault, they fix it. If he decides it's not, see above: Independent expert etc. etc. Other stores may have a policy of just saying "prove it". Again, see above. Having someone who can talk as if they know what they are doing is helpful. Making the person who deals with you _want_ to help you is _very_ helpful. Shouting usually doesn't help that much. Whether the fault was present when you received the iMac may very well be a matter of opinion of the genius, and whether he wants to help you or not may change that opinion.

Don't claim things that are not true. Like saying "European laws says you must give two years warranty". The shop will instantly not want to help you.

The "up to six years" that are mentioned are just the maximum time were everything runs out. Whatever happens, six years after you bought the shop can just say "we don't know you". Whether something has to last for six years wouldn't depend on how expensive it is, but would depend on the nature of the object. A wrought iron ornament that sits on a shelf and does nothing shouldn't spontaneously fall apart within six years, even if it only cost five pounds.

Last edited:

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
You need to read the Sale of Goods Act.

In the UK you have up to 6 years - but after 12 months you need to prove that the goods purchased are not fit for purpose.

So if you have evidence that the connector has a design fault, go back to Apple.

Saying that, you have already opened it up, so could be difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.