Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Not in terms of money if you look at Top Grossing. Clash of Clans, Candy Crush Saga and Hay Day have been absolutely dominating for months now, plus Hobbit/Simpsons.
None of those are from Zynga. Three years ago that wouldn't have been the case. People grew weary if not leery of the repetitive, no-point, "game play" of their "games." Thank god for that.

Michael

Last edited:

ablashek

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Paraguay
this is what happens when investors throw too much money down a baby companies throat. they end up spending 200 million dollars on a company they just end up shutting down.

lately i get the feeling that people have lost their value for money, 1 billion dollars is a common term used to purchase companies that have 20-100 employees, produce no meaningful benefit, and best of all have no revenue.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
After using smartphones for the last 5 years or so, I figured that the only Apps that get used regularly are

1) Browser
2) Email
3) Weather
4) News
5) Radio(Tunein,iHeartRadio etc)
6) Stocks
6) Facebook and Twitter (I don't use neither, btw)

The rest of them are all passing fad's. I haven't touched any of the other apps in ages...

I am sure others have other apps they use on a regular basis.

But, to buy a company based on their app for millions of dollars is a risk..

I can't agree more. And btw, I storngly believe that WEB APPS are replacing regular apps. I have uninstalled Zap2it app since now I can access their mobile web UI, I also uninstall Bank of America app after they updated their web app. same goes for all those NYC subway and guides.

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
After using smartphones for the last 5 years or so, I figured that the only Apps that get used regularly are

1) Browser
2) Email
3) Weather
4) News
5) Radio(Tunein,iHeartRadio etc)
6) Stocks
6) Facebook and Twitter (I don't use neither, btw)

The rest of them are all passing fad's. I haven't touched any of the other apps in ages...

I am sure others have other apps they use on a regular basis.

But, to buy a company based on their app for millions of dollars is a risk..

I think you are exaggerating a bit. I just looked at the recent apps on my Nexus 4...

Facebook Messenger
Shazam
Fuelio
Gallery
Calendar
Maps
reddit sync
Google
Tapped Out
Chrome
Gmail
Facebook
Instagram
Play Store

The non-Google apps (Shazam, Fuelio, reddit sync) have been on my phone for a while, and unless a better app roles along, I will continue to use them. FB Messenger and Instagram can be bundled into your category of FB and Twitter. Finally, Tapped Out, as much as I enjoy it, does fit into your category of a "fad app".

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as games go, but there are plenty of useful apps out there, and if your truly find them useful, you will continue to use them.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
I read an AMA from a former employee on Reddit and people didn't see it coming but severance packages were quite handsome and included healthcare.

Yeah I saw the AMA as well. What I meant was this app was doomed to fail. It was fun for the first day and then I slowly saw all of my friends stop playing. I held out a week longer but then realized I was the only one still drawing. And the game became more of a chore than entertainment. I knew the app would fail.... And THEN it was bought for $200M.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yeah I saw the AMA as well. What I meant was this app was doomed to fail. It was fun for the first day and then I slowly saw all of my friends stop playing. I held out a week longer but then realized I was the only one still drawing. And the game became more of a chore than entertainment. I knew the app would fail.... And THEN it was bought for $200M.

Oh gotcha. You're completely right.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I actually still play. I get a response once a day from some guy...somewhere, and respond between my classes. Sad to see it go, really.

Why do people keep selling out to Zynga? Long term, they could probably make more as they wouldn't let the products atrophy the way Zynga does.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Did they really think Draw Something would be popular forever? Sheesh...

Could have been. Had they not failed to fix the bugs for ages, had they updated it with these new tricks and not waited to release a new one at cost again. Who knows

OMGPOP had a great system for letting folks pay or play to get things and Zynga could have found success sticking with that for the stickers and such and just updating the rest as needed improvements.

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
I think draw something was trendy for awhile and that is it. It had potential to become more of a game, but never really went anywhere.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
People have been saying exactly that about EA for years, sadly Zynga is likely to survive to become a big player by using the exact business model EA has been using for years, Buy a company that's doing well, has good franchises in its position, fire everyone, and churn out crap products using the goodwill the company built up before you bought it, devalue its name, move on to purchase another new company to devalue.

Unless of course EA by Zynga at some point..:eek:
EA seem to alternate between absolute mess/evil and making some really quite good stuff though, making it a little more bearable at least. Zynga's product has never been great. EA do need their heads checked... Hopefully their downsizing/refocusing will get them to rethink some things.

I wouldn't mind if EA bought Zynga, they'd probably kill them off like they did with the Sims Social.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
EA seem to alternate between absolute mess/evil and making some really quite good stuff though, making it a little more bearable at least. .

I think EAs good stuff is the stuff that the companies they just bought had nearly completed BEFORE EA bought them and fired everyone, after that its all downhill

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I think EAs good stuff is the stuff that the companies they just bought had nearly completed BEFORE EA bought them and fired everyone, after that its all downhill
Battlefield series is still going strong.. And umm.. The Sims if you like that sort of thing is good.

Still not going to forgive what they've done with Dead Space though. Whyyyyy?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Battlefield series is still going strong.. And umm.. The Sims if you like that sort of thing is good.

Still not going to forgive what they've done with Dead Space though. Whyyyyy?

Dead Space, Mass Effect (series got more and more like a Gears of War clone, and Multiplayer was un-necessarily shoehorned in) Dragon Age 2, even BattleField, which is a stunning engine, but all revolves around selling gear-unlocks to multiplayer FPS nutcases, the single player storyline is not actually that good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.