Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:02 AM   #51
John.B
macrumors 68040

This made my day, until...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissdnt View Post
Oh come on Apple. Won't work with Macs.. ugh.

Last edited by John.B; Sep 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
John.B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:30 PM   #52
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
I still miss Safari for the PC.
me too, actually i started using Safari and started to like it, this was the time when ichrome gaining and firefox was getting sluggish, but then Apple stopped making for windows and i had to jump to chrome/firefox duo.

Also, is it me only, safari is much much fuild on my imac than firefox, for some reason, both latest.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:16 PM   #53
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Concept yes, execution no.

It was such a lousy browser on Windows. Shame, because it could have been awesome.

I love Safari on Mac and iOS, but even there it has a bit of catching up to do.
For example in the stability department.

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:45 PM   #54
donutbagel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Why would there be? Snow Leopard is over 4 years old and no longer supported for anything except critical flaws.
So is XP, but it works in XP.

----------

Quote:
Safari 4 for Windows as actually good, better I think than Chrome and FF at the time. Safari 5 for Windows turned into a Chrome knockoff and got relatively slower. I still use it because Chrome always gets infected with junk from Babylon and Ask if you're not careful.
donutbagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:28 AM   #55
djtech42
macrumors 65816

"It's like giving a glass of ice water to someone in hell." - Steve Jobs
Old Sep 20, 2013, 06:08 AM   #56
Beta Particle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtech42 View Post
"It's like giving a glass of ice water to someone in hell." - Steve Jobs
It's true - Safari is not a good browser. It's nice to be free of it. Too bad you're stuck with it on OS X.
Beta Particle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:30 AM   #57
skinEman23
macrumors member

anyone know if there is a way to only sync contacts (not mail and calendar) with this?
skinEman23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:29 AM   #58
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Particle View Post
It's true - Safari is not a good browser. It's nice to be free of it. Too bad you're stuck with it on OS X.
Safari is good on OS X, don't know what you're talking about.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 04:45 PM   #59
toby00001
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingelsefl View Post
My thoughts exactly. This almost seems like they are giving an advantage to Windows users.
I'm not sure why people seem to be having issues syncing bookmarks between devices. There are two super easy methods for maintaining the same bookmark collection on ALL devices.

1: Use Chrome on all devices (super ***** easy),
2: Use Safari on all Apple devices plus Chrome on any non Apple device such as Windows computer or Android device (all super ***** easy).
toby00001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 04:47 AM   #60
JessicaRobort
macrumors newbie

iCloud can now sync bookmarks with Firefox and Chrome

The latest update to Apple's cloud-based service lets Windows users keep their bookmarks in sync among IE, Firefox, and Chrome.
iCloud users can now sync their bookmarks across all of the major browsers used in Windows.
Released on Wednesday, the iCloud Control Panel 3.0 for Windows can keep your bookmarks in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome synchronized with your Safari bookmarks on the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and the Mac. Previously, iCloud supported only IE.
To turn on the new feature, download and install the 3.0 version of the iCloud Control Panel. After launching the program, click on the checkmark for Bookmarks if it's not already checked. In the Options pop-up up menu, you can then choose which of the three browsers you want to include in the sync.
To enable support for Firefox and Chrome, you'll also need to download the new browser extensions developed by Apple. Firefox uses can download the extension from Mozilla's Add-Ons page, while Chrome users can grab it from the Chrome Web store.
JessicaRobort is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 04:02 PM   #61
thetechnologist
macrumors member

Very necessary and strategic now that Safari for Windows is likely gone forever.
thetechnologist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 08:39 PM   #62
Beta Particle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby00001 View Post
I'm not sure why people seem to be having issues syncing bookmarks between devices. There are two super easy methods for maintaining the same bookmark collection on ALL devices.

1: Use Chrome on all devices (super ***** easy)
Browsers which are not Safari have terrible performance on iOS. Chrome is seven times slower than Safari on an iPhone 5.

And frankly, many of us would prefer not to have Chrome on our systems, though I realize it's the only way to view Flash content without installing Flash on a Mac. Firefox is my browser of choice.

Quote:
2: Use Safari on all Apple devices plus Chrome on any non Apple device such as Windows computer or Android device (all super ***** easy).
Until this was released, you did not have the option of anything other than the defunct Safari 5 on Windows, which only supports bookmark sync and not tab syncing.
iCloud is not supported on most of the MacBooks we're using here, even if they were using Safari.
I'm not sure how you expect Safari on iOS to sync with Chrome on Android either.

It's nice and easy if you're happy to live inside Apple's ecosystem, with all your devices up to date, but not if you have a mixture of devices (rules out iCloud) and want to avoid Chrome.

Perhaps if Apple removed the restrictions on iOS, there would be a version of Chrome without crippled performance, or a version of Firefox at all.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:40 AM   #63
toby00001
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Particle View Post
Browsers which are not Safari have terrible performance on iOS. Chrome is seven times slower than Safari on an iPhone 5.

And frankly, many of us would prefer not to have Chrome on our systems, though I realize it's the only way to view Flash content without installing Flash on a Mac. Firefox is my browser of choice.

Until this was released, you did not have the option of anything other than the defunct Safari 5 on Windows, which only supports bookmark sync and not tab syncing.
iCloud is not supported on most of the MacBooks we're using here, even if they were using Safari.
I'm not sure how you expect Safari on iOS to sync with Chrome on Android either.

It's nice and easy if you're happy to live inside Apple's ecosystem, with all your devices up to date, but not if you have a mixture of devices (rules out iCloud) and want to avoid Chrome.

Perhaps if Apple removed the restrictions on iOS, there would be a version of Chrome without crippled performance, or a version of Firefox at all.
I'm not talking about before the iCloud/Chrome support was released, I'm talking about right now!

I have a mixture of devices, and as I mentioned before I use Safari on Apple devices and Chrome on all other devices. Because my Windows PC syncs Chrome with my iCloud bookmarks, those bookmarks would also be available on any Android device.

Before this I used Chrome on all devices, which meant that everything was synced automatically. Chrome is a damn good browser.

People here are bitching about there being no Chrome/iCloud sync on Mac. Why would anyone need this? If you use Chrome on a Mac...it already syncs your bookmarks.
toby00001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:37 AM   #64
Beta Particle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have a mixture of devices, and as I mentioned before I use Safari on Apple devices and Chrome on all other devices. Because my Windows PC syncs Chrome with my iCloud bookmarks, those bookmarks would also be available on any Android device.
This setup relies on your PC running all the time to act as an intermediary between iCloud and Chrome Sync for Android devices. It's a bad solution.
Quote:
Before this I used Chrome on all devices, which meant that everything was synced automatically. Chrome is a damn good browser.
Chrome, like all third-party browsers on iOS, has crippled performance. It will eat up battery life and is painfully slow to use compared to Safari now.
Quote:
People here are bitching about there being no Chrome/iCloud sync on Mac. Why would anyone need this? If you use Chrome on a Mac...it already syncs your bookmarks.
Chrome on a Mac will only sync with Chrome on iOS. It will not sync to iCloud.

Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer will all sync with iCloud on a PC. This is what people want on OS X.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:26 PM   #65
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Too bad they don't have this for mac...
Old Jan 6, 2014, 08:52 PM   #66
Traverse
macrumors 6502a

I wish they would have continued development on Safari for Windows....
Traverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:07 PM   #67
mawen
macrumors newbie

Do they offer this for the Mac too?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion