Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Apr 6, 2014, 04:37 PM   #326
worldbrain
macrumors newbie

suspect SSD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSee View Post
Success! I finally did this! Been thinking about it ever since this thread started.

(The smuginess seemed to stop progressing after a while and was mainly on the edges of the screen and I just got used to it.)

But the SSD I had put in there died. When I replaced that I decided to go for it. Getting the display panel out of the frame was a bit beyond my comfort zone but I made it through.

Thanks Oggy and others that made this possible for me!

My screen is now nice and clear, edge to edge. Woohoo!
...having dealt with a number of the ssd's with proplems, i suspect inadequate cooling, if not a manufacturing defect. Installing a mini heatsink, and/or a fan, theoretically should show a quantifiable difference in performance...(there has been a recall on a few releases initially)
worldbrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:03 AM   #327
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldbrain View Post
...having dealt with a number of the ssd's with proplems, i suspect inadequate cooling, if not a manufacturing defect. Installing a mini heatsink, and/or a fan, theoretically should show a quantifiable difference in performance...(there has been a recall on a few releases initially)
I suspect you're right... I don't know if I mentioned this, but I had the SSD in there for ~ two years with no problems. But when this happened I had been putting my iMac under quite a heavy load for several weeks (especially the GPU).

I'll look into that. Thanks!
Old May 27, 2014, 07:16 AM   #328
Wreckie
macrumors regular

I just cleaned my iMac, had this same issue. It took me about 4 hours total, but now the screen is just like new. Thank you for motivation!
Wreckie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac