Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SWD

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I've recently come across some oldish (late 90s, early 00s) home movies I had converted to DVD from VHS. Quality, of course, is only as good as the source, but I would like to preserve as much of it as possible. My goal is to get these videos into iTunes to watch on the Apple TV, and possibly put up on youtube as well. But some simple editing, like splitting at combining, is necessary. I've got several apps that can accomplish this, but the various workflows have shown mixed results, including compressing the already so-so quality further. If anybody has any input as to minimizing the amount of compression, I would appreciate it.

The first step is, of course, to rip the DVDs. For that I use Handbrake and the preset for Apple TV 3 (though I only have a 2, future planning) and allow for a large file size. For the splitting/joining I need to do, I have use iMovie, Quicktime X, or Visual Hub. I also see different options for export formats, like Quicktime or MP4. Which would be recommended? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.