Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoek59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Chicago
If you bought a iMac with the delivery date set for the first week of January and included the Applecare warranty, you will lose 6 -7 weeks warranty coverage since the policy states the Applecare is activated at the "time of purchase". And yes, that also includes the 14 day return policy which means you won't be able to return the iMac.

I spoke to two people at Applecare and one I believe at Apple who confirmed this. I'm very disappointed. I have waited a very long time to buy the iMac and will have to wait for it to be in stock. To give up 6 weeks, or more, of warranty coverage is too much. I hope someone at Apple will see this message to change their current policy.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
This is not correct.

I just spoke with someone at Apple online chat and they said this:

"The warranty on the Macs would indeed start at the time of purchase, however what that really means is from the time that the payment is processed at which point the Mac actually ships out. So at most, you should be losing about 7 days of the warranty, rather than the entire time before the items would ship out."

I then asked this:

So if I add the AppleCare protection plan for iMac - Auto Enroll right now and purchase my 27" iMac today, it won't ship for 3-4 weeks. So when will the AppleCare actually activate?

The Apple rep's answer was:

"The order would actually show you that it is "processing" for that 3-4 week period, as it would not actually charge you until the order has shipped out. At that point you would be notified via email with further instructions on how to track the order through the carrier, and that's when the warranty would actually go into effect."

Mac2133

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
This is not correct.

I just spoke with someone at Apple online chat and they said this:

"The warranty on the Macs would indeed start at the time of purchase, however what that really means is from the time that the payment is processed at which point the Mac actually ships out. So at most, you should be losing about 7 days of the warranty, rather than the entire time before the items would ship out."

I then asked this:

So if I add the AppleCare protection plan for iMac - Auto Enroll right now and purchase my 27" iMac today, it won't ship for 3-4 weeks. So when will the AppleCare actually activate?

The Apple rep's answer was:

"The order would actually show you that it is "processing" for that 3-4 week period, as it would not actually charge you until the order has shipped out. At that point you would be notified via email with further instructions on how to track the order through the carrier, and that's when the warranty would actually go into effect."

Not true. My card got charged for the Apple Care today (I placed the order for a 27" iMac + Apple Care yesterday). Shipping is "2-3 weeks" from yesterday...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
They are giving you bad info.

1) AppleCare and the original warranty start the day your computer ships, not when you place the order or when it goes to "processing" just after you place the order.

2) If you return your computer during the 14-day return period you will get a full refund for AC too.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Not true. My card got charged for the Apple Care today (I placed the order for a 27" iMac + Apple Care yesterday). Shipping is "2-3 weeks" from yesterday...

Double check with your credit company. They transaction should be a pending authorization. Basically, all it says is Apple contacts your credit company to see if you have sufficient funds to process the transaction. It can stay in this pending state for a while. It's only when the item is shipped that Apple recontacts the credit company to verify the charge as complete. So you may notice a charge if you check your bill online but it should be pending status.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I checked with Apple on the One-to-One about a similar concern. I ordered it to get specific training on Aperture 3, and it is a spectacular deal if you live near an Apple Store. I received an email yesterday telling me to activate it now, but wasn't going to do that because I want to wait to receive my machine. They said I could wait to activate it when I get the machine. AppleCare will be similar.

Take a deep breath! Don't panic and start spreading nasty and untrue rumors.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Double check with your credit company. They transaction should be a pending authorization. Basically, all it says is Apple contacts your credit company to see if you have sufficient funds to process the transaction. It can stay in this pending state for a while. It's only when the item is shipped that Apple recontacts the credit company to verify the charge as complete. So you may notice a charge if you check your bill online but it should be pending status.

Indeed. Actually I have been wondering why I only have a $201 charge pending on my card rather than a $3001 charge . . .

Going to start another thread about that actually.

ivbaseball06

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
Important tip to add:

Purchasing your iMac on a credit card will double your manufacturer's warranty (up to a max of one year). So, if you want an extra year of warranty coverage buy it with your credit card.

**Also make sure your credit card has this 'Extended Warranty Coverage' feature. It's pretty common though.

Hoek59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Chicago
I checked with Apple on the One-to-One about a similar concern. I ordered it to get specific training on Aperture 3, and it is a spectacular deal if you live near an Apple Store. I received an email yesterday telling me to activate it now, but wasn't going to do that because I want to wait to receive my machine. They said I could wait to activate it when I get the machine. AppleCare will be similar.

Take a deep breath! Don't panic and start spreading nasty and untrue rumors.

Thanks, I just got the same email to activate my one on one also. I'm doing the same as you. You saved me another call to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.