Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I personally have the ReadyNas Ultra 6 plus

Here is a good site that I used in my research. They have quite a bit of reviews on the different NAS devices as well as benchmark them. This way you can compare performance which is also important.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas

Good luck in your decision.

I have this also.
I agree about Smallnetbuilder.com. Useful for all stuff wrt networking. I have used this for routers and switches also.

----------

Because I don't understand how you have your HDD's hooked up to your router?

OK.

I don't have my HDDs hooked up to a router. What I have is the following :

Modem>Airport Extreme router>LAN>Switch>LAN>Switch>ReadyNAS with 5 drives + ReadyNAS with 2 drives.

Accessing the ReadyNAS by LAN are 2x Win7 PCs, 3x NeoTV video streamers and 6x Sonos audio streamers.
Accessing the ReadyNAS by WiFi through the AExtreme are 2x iPhones, iPad and MacBook Air.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I don't have my HDDs hooked up to a router. What I have is the following :

Modem>Airport Extreme router>LAN>Switch>LAN>Switch>ReadyNAS with 5 drives + ReadyNAS with 2 drives.

Accessing the ReadyNAS by LAN are 2x Win7 PCs, 3x NeoTV video streamers and 6x Sonos audio streamers.
Accessing the ReadyNAS by WiFi through the AExtreme are 2x iPhones, iPad and MacBook Air.

Guess I read it wrong, sorry.

Can I just get this?
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/work-and-play/wnr3500l.aspx#two

With like a USB Hub, and connect it to the USB on the router?

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
I'm running SYnology DS211j as my storage server and I got 600Gb attached to time machine just for 1 mac.

Solid performance, 0 issues.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I've got a DS212j and it's great. No issues, fantastic OS.

FYI the benchmarks on SmallNetBuilder for high end NAS's like the ReadyNas Ultra 6 plus use Link Aggregation and Jumbo frames. That requires dual GigE Ethernet cards on your PC (possible) or Mac (not likely). You also need a managed GigE switch. Without Link Aggregation you're transfer speeds are limited to about 70Gb. Jumbo frame support was sketchy on some iMacs YMMV.

Last edited:

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I've got a DS212j and it's great. No issues, fantastic OS.

FYI the benchmarks on SmallNetBuilder for high end NAS's like the ReadyNas Ultra 6 plus use Link Aggregation and Jumbo frames. That requires dual GigE Ethernet cards on your PC (possible) or Mac (not likely). You also need a managed GigE switch. Without Link Aggregation you're transfer speeds are limited to about 70Gb. Jumbo frame support was sketchy on some iMacs YMMV.

Since actually I have an Ultra6+ (better than the Ultra6), I might be qualified to pass some actual judgement on ReadyNAS performance. I also have 2 ProPioneers (previous name for the same hardware).

A real world example is to/from my MBA through the TB/GbLAN adaptor and the ProPioneer. Data rates above 100MBps are normal. These rates are using a 1GB test file through a GB switch - GS108tV2.

My transfer speeds are without Jumbo Frames and without Link Aggregation.

Further rates through this Gbit switch between 2 Win7 PCs come to about 100MBps. When I am doing some real world work with varied file sizes, then the rate falls to 80+MBps. This is data transfer up/down the chain : ProPioneer>Switch>Switch>Win7 PC>Switch>Ultra6+. Rates also vary if I am Reading or Writing. Curiously for RAIDX2, Write rates are higher than Read rates. Transfers to/from 5 or 6 drive arrays are faster than between 5/6 drive arrays and 2 drive arrays.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Yes I put Gb where I should have put MBps. 70MBps to 80MBps are typical for decent NAS's using a single GigE port. 100MBps is exceptional.

If we look at the OPs post they're unlikely to need anything so powerful as a quad bay RAID NAS. A single bay NAS like the DS112j ~$150 plus a 3TB HDD (why not they're cheap) would probably fit the bill.

PS drsox any reason you're not using Jumbo frames? I don't because my old iMac doesn't support it.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Yes I put Gb where I should have put MBps. 70MBps to 80MBps are typical for decent NAS's using a single GigE port. 100MBps is exceptional.

If we look at the OPs post they're unlikely to need anything so powerful as a quad bay RAID NAS. A single bay NAS like the DS112j ~$150 plus a 3TB HDD (why not they're cheap) would probably fit the bill.

PS drsox any reason you're not using Jumbo frames? I don't because my old iMac doesn't support it.

I agree. A 2 bay NAS will be sufficient if RAID is required. Less if no RAID is desired.

I looked at Jumbo Frames for some time, but I have such a wide variation of stuff on my network I found that sometimes it was an actual hindrance. I have Gbit enabled and FastEthernet enabled devices trying to access the same data. Plus most of the time I'm dealing with small files where Frame packing/unpacking is a real overhead.

When I did test it between 100% compatible devices (Switch also), it didn't make much difference. The avoidance of aggro. made me decide to eliminate JF completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.