Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jig3n

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
I wonder if it would work from a windows virtual machine like vmware or something... think I'm going to try this out...

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
You guys are aware your Windows machine has to have a TV tuner right? No big deal but doesn't seem "elegant."

Subscribe to Aero and stuff come from the web, no further hardware needed.

netant

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Elgato has had this capability for quite a while. Since 2009 at least.
EyeTV By Elgato Systems

this is direct stream from PC to AppleTV, not AirPlay.

Also this works with HDHomeRun Prime which the majority of US cable users will be using. EyeTV does not work with HDHomeRun Prime at all

Oh, and EyeTV is for Mac only.

----------

I wonder if it would work from a windows virtual machine like vmware or something... think I'm going to try this out...

It works but you will need to either

1) connect the USB tuner from host to VMware, or
2) use Ethernet TV tuner such as HDHomeRun (all models)

Last edited:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
this is direct stream from PC to AppleTV, not AirPlay.
How would that work? On an AppleTV, without having a specialized app installed on aTV (like YT, Hulu, Netflix et al), how can you stream anything? And these apps pull streams from internet, the video you posted earlier, shows a PC pushing a stream to aTV. AirPlay is the only way to push streams to aTV, AFAIK.
Also this works with HDHomeRun Prime which the majority of US cable users will be using. EyeTV does not work with HDHomeRun Prime at all
Obviously, I'm not that familiar with the OTA/Cable/IP-TV options available in US. Looks like it has been possible at least back in 2011. There must surely be a reason why it has been discontinued.
Elgato HDHomeRun Network Dual Tuner for HDTV for Mac or PC
But you are right in one aspect - none of Elgato's solutions are good for watching on AppleTV, only iPhone/iPad are useable clients.
Oh, and EyeTV is for Mac only.
I can't help with that. Sorry.

Last edited:

netant

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
How would that work? On an AppleTV, without having a specialized app installed on aTV (like YT, Hulu, Netflix et al), how can you stream anything? And these apps pull streams from internet, the video you posted earlier, shows a PC pushing a stream to aTV. AirPlay is the only way to push streams to aTV, AFAIK.

It's still AirPlay.

InstaTV Server sends an AirPlay request to ATV and ask ATV to start streaming live tv feed from a source that InstaTV Server has set up.

Last edited:

deskhomeloo

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
great.Subscribe to Aero and stuff come from the web, no further hardware needed.
z8KVFmE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.