Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Jimmy.apple.fan
macrumors member

Payment

Ready to order my very first iMac & very excited!!

When do they take the payment & charge the card....... Is it when the order is placed or when the order is ready to be dispatched ( a few weeks away)!!!

Secondly would I be able to amend the card details...... Want to pay on a specific credit card however the card won't be ready for nearly 2 weeks but was hoping to place the Order now.....?!?

Thanks
Jimmy.apple.fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:31 AM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

They authorize right away, so if the card isn't ready it will be declined.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:59 PM   #3
macrumors newbie

In the UK a company can only take funds from your account once the goods are dispatched.
8.33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:02 PM   #4
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.33 View Post
In the UK a company can only take funds from your account once the goods are dispatched.
Maybe, but they will still check to make sure the card is good/funds are available at the time of sale.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

They will check funds are available when you place the order, and take the payment when it ships. Enjoy your new iMac. Loving mine!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:04 PM   #6
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy.apple.fan View Post
Secondly would I be able to amend the card details...... Want to pay on a specific credit card however the card won't be ready for nearly 2 weeks but was hoping to place the Order now.....?!?

Thanks
What do you mean amend the details? Which details?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:15 PM   #7
stridemat

Quote:
Ready to order my very first iMac & very excited!!

When do they take the payment & charge the card....... Is it when the order is placed or when the order is ready to be dispatched ( a few weeks away)!!!

Thanks
In the UK they check to see if the funds are available and some companies will 'earmark' the funds (basically claiming as theirs) and affectively removing it from any balance. The funds are finally taken when the goods are about to dispatch.

In relation to your second point I don't think it would be possible to amend the details of the card. Though it may be worth a phone call with Apple to speak to a Customer Service rep and gain absolute clarification.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:26 AM   #8
BaggieBoy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.33 View Post
Do you have a source for that? There are loads of companies I use that take the payment up straight away, as far as I understand it this is not illegal.
BaggieBoy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:23 AM   #9
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Secondly would I be able to amend the card details...... Want to pay on a specific credit card however the card won't be ready for nearly 2 weeks but was hoping to place the Order now.....?!
What does this mean? When you place the order you agree to payment source. You can't change the payment source without canceling the order and reordering.

I suggest you curb your enthusiasm for two weeks until you get your financing straightened out.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice