Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Are you kidding me? I drop my phone way too often to justify going without a case. That isn't an option for the majority of iPhone users. I always go thin profile, but it's still a problem.

maybe be more careful with a $700 device?

----------

you need a 35 1.4L

I used to have a 24 1.4 and I didn't use it enough.

----------

Funny enough, yes. I use it A LOT. When I'm in class, when I don't want to be bothered, and when I'm out shopping/having dinner or whatever.

I just keep mine on silent unless I'm in my house. It's less annoying.

ClaytonK

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
Why in god's name would you want to yield to these kinds of intrusive capabilities? There is no way the public would allow forced control of their ringer.

I said 'request', right? It could even be a safety issue if they actually forced your phone to not ring.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I just keep mine on silent unless I'm in my house. It's less annoying.
Even at home, I often keep it on silent because I don't want my boss to call me early morning when I sleep and not supposed to be on shift.

Where iOS misses it is in automating the ringing behavior when the mute switch is turned to "let it ring", but that we don't want to be bothered anyway.

I think it would be rather easy to automatically switch profiles according to what is set in iCal (or if nothing is set, from what you set as "day start", "day end", keeping a list of numbers allowed to call during off-hours (very close friends, for example), and let the voicemailbox take care of the other ones. Heck, even some Nokias, not exactly the cutting edge of mobile technology, had it.

On the other hand, "day end" must be a more flexible setting in iCal. For example I consider my day to be over at 3AM, not midnight.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Even at home, I often keep it on silent because I don't want my boss to call me early morning when I sleep and not supposed to be on shift.

Where iOS misses it is in automating the ringing behavior when the mute switch is turned to "let it ring", but that we don't want to be bothered anyway.

I think it would be rather easy to automatically switch profiles according to what is set in iCal (or if nothing is set, from what you set as "day start", "day end", keeping a list of numbers allowed to call during off-hours (very close friends, for example), and let the voicemailbox take care of the other ones. Heck, even some Nokias, not exactly the cutting edge of mobile technology, had it.

On the other hand, "day end" must be a more flexible setting in iCal. For example I consider my day to be over at 3AM, not midnight.

I almost never use my iphone as a phone - but doesn't iOS6 have a DND function?

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is that if you totally ignore the actual usability pros/cons there is the simple fact that a row of 3 push buttons will definitely be cheaper to manufacture.

Whether that's to be taken as some insidious 'drop in focus on quality' from Apple or whatever is another question...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm SICK of leaks. I want it like the old days, where we had no clue what was going to happen with the next gen iDevice. I HATE leaks on Apple products. :mad:

Then you must be new here. This site was founded on there being leaks buddy. Best stop visiting.

---------
I would hope the phone isn't thinner. That would be ridiculous.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I almost never use my iphone as a phone - but doesn't iOS6 have a DND function?
Indeed, a while after posting here, I saw there is actually a basic DND function. I set mine up to not disturb between 1AM and 11AM, but would have appreciated a per contact DND customization. Even if I don't want any boss to ring before 11AM, I am always there for friends.

One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is that if you totally ignore the actual usability pros/cons there is the simple fact that a row of 3 push buttons will definitely be cheaper to manufacture.

Whether that's to be taken as some insidious 'drop in focus on quality' from Apple or whatever is another question...
It would, but I highly doubt Apple would pass those savings to customers. Maybe these parts would be for the rumored lower cost iPhone?

But not having to unlock the screen to mute the phone by software is really nice. I just thought of that remembering my Nokia N8.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
A dedicated shutter button right next to the volume up button that can already act as a shutter release? Unless it has a pre-focus function, that would be completely pointless.

Not if it allows you to press it to wake right to the camera then press again to capture while pressing the volume buttons allows you to change the volume while the device is locked those functions would be very distinct and useful

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Not if it allows you to press it to wake right to the camera then press again to capture while pressing the volume buttons allows you to change the volume while the device is locked those functions would be very distinct and useful

My old WinMo phones had a button that brought it right into the camera mode. It was more annoying than useful, as it would be constantly tripped by accident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.