Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickmeadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I upgraded to iOS 6 when it first became available and was appalled by the sudden poor battery issues and heating problems I began having with my iPhone 4. As Apple was still signing iOS 5.1.1, I managed to downgrade.

Months later, I wonder if things are better? I know there's a version 6.0.1 now, is it better in these matters? I would like to hear from the iPhone 4 users.

Thanks in advance

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Haven't noticed worse battery life since installing iOS 6. If you're interested in jailbreaking your device, I wouldn't upgrade though. I used to have the tethered jailbreak and that really did slow the phone down (at least for me) and it also worsened battery life.

But apart from the jailbreak, the iPhone 4 seems to run even smoother on iOS 6. Concerning the battery life, sometimes it helps to restore your phone and set it up as new rather than using a backup of an older iOS version.

rickmeadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Haven't noticed worse battery life since installing iOS 6. If you're interested in jailbreaking your device, I wouldn't upgrade though. I used to have the tethered jailbreak and that really did slow the phone down (at least for me) and it also worsened battery life.

But apart from the jailbreak, the iPhone 4 seems to run even smoother on iOS 6. Concerning the battery life, sometimes it helps to restore your phone and set it up as new rather than using a backup of an older iOS version.

No, no intentions on jailbreaking.

And when I originally upgraded I restored from backup using iCloud.

So perhaps I'll have better performance if I set it as new?

Does it make a difference if I use the over-the-air upgrade or iTunes?

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
No, no intentions on jailbreaking.

And when I originally upgraded I restored from backup using iCloud.

So perhaps I'll have better performance if I set it as new?

Does it make a difference if I use the over-the-air upgrade or iTunes?

There should be no difference between iTunes and over the air update. And as I said, sometimes issues arise when people use their old backups to restore to a newer firmware. So maybe it poses a problem and maybe it does not. If I were you, I'd first try it with a backup and if there are any big issues set it up as new. IMO setting it up as new is a real hassle.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Going to iTunes and doing a restore is the key to solving most battery problems. If you still not confident, do a "reset all settings" to get rid of any possible battery draining settings that you might not be aware of.

Hope this helps!

rickmeadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. I'll shift things a bit, now:

Is the performance better on iOS 6? On the iPhone 4, I mean.

Right now, on iOS 5.1.1, it's as snappy as it gets. When I originally upgraded to iOS 6 (from a backup, OTA update, mentioned on my original post), my iPhone 4 became really sluggish.

Does iOS 6 really make the iPhone 4 sluggish slow? If I'm to restore it as new, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.