Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flgator85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Where is the best place to sell an iPhone 4 16GB factory unlocked? eBay, Gazelle ($140), eBay instanceSell ($146), or Craigslist? Previously, I have used eBay but I have heard so many horror stories on this forum lately. Are these just the minority or have others had successfully sales with no issues? Craigslist bothers me because of the possibility of being robbed.

EggrollShop

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Craigslist would probably be best. Use common sense when selling... Meet in a public place, bring a friend or someone with you during the meeting. I've sold numerous things on Craigslist including my previous iPhones and have not been robbed yet.

bruceclay85

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I sell phones on eBay very often. It's never a hassle and gains you the most profit I've found. Just use your head and some common sense and you can get by fine. If something strike you as wrong an you feel uncomfortable, then take yourself out of the situation.

Cjshino

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Where is the best place to sell an iPhone 4 16GB factory unlocked? eBay, Gazelle ($140), eBay instanceSell ($146), or Craigslist? Previously, I have used eBay but I have heard so many horror stories on this forum lately. Are these just the minority or have others had successfully sales with no issues? Craigslist bothers me because of the possibility of being robbed.

tc if you are selling an iphone 4 i will gladly buy it.

Kaze105

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Craiglist for me. Sold my iphone 4s for 375 dollars. Just always meet at a public place. (gas station, starbucks, etc)

arazak

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Sell an iPhone

First of, by your name, I'm assuming you're Florida Gators fan. I went to UF so I'm a huge Gator fan. Go Gators! At the time of this writing, they're currently playing the Sugar Bowl...big coincidence.

Anyway, eBay and Craigslist will definitely get you more money for your phone. However, they're a pain. If you haven't already sold your phone to Gazelle, I know another reCommerce service owned by a fellow Gator - ItsWorthMore.com. I've sold my iPhone and iPad and I love em. Best place to sell Apple products IMO and indirectly support the Gator Nation.

Hope they win tonight.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
First of, by your name, I'm assuming you're Florida Gators fan. I went to UF so I'm a huge Gator fan. Go Gators! At the time of this writing, they're currently playing the Sugar Bowl...big coincidence.

Anyway, eBay and Craigslist will definitely get you more money for your phone. However, they're a pain. If you haven't already sold your phone to Gazelle, I know another reCommerce service owned by a fellow Gator - ItsWorthMore.com. I've sold my iPhone and iPad and I love em. Best place to sell Apple products IMO and indirectly support the Gator Nation.

Hope they win tonight.

Go Canes.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I've never had an issue selling phones on eBay but recently I've just been selling them off to CeX instead. The prices they give you are slightly lower than eBay but don't forget eBay takes out listing fees, final value fees, and PayPal fees which add up on expensive goods.

applefanboy5

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
I sell phones on eBay very often. It's never a hassle and gains you the most profit I've found. Just use your head and some common sense and you can get by fine. If something strike you as wrong an you feel uncomfortable, then take yourself out of the situation.

I was wondering if i decide to sell my iPhone on ebay how can i prevent someone from saying that my iphone came to them with a cracked screen? I'm just worried some person might actually damage their phone on their own then asking for a refund

Deicide14

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
I was wondering if i decide to sell my iPhone on ebay how can i prevent someone from saying that my iphone came to them with a cracked screen? I'm just worried some person might actually damage their phone on their own then asking for a refund

Make a video of you packing the box and adding the bubble wrap or foam and clearly show that the iPhone is in an uncracked condition, so if they do ask for a refund or start a claim, you can show PayPal proof that it was unbroken and you had taken steps to prevent this and that this was not ur fault.

Another good place to sell/trade would be celltraderonline. I use that site most of the time.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
For the past few times I just let a few friends and coworkers know Im selling my old iphone and always within days a buyer comes up either by letting their friends, family or coworkers know. I tell them how much Im looking for and how low I would go and show pics of the phone and the box and accessories included, factory unlocked etc..
I sell them for about the same price they go on CL or ebay minus the ebay/paypal fees, scammers and without having the risk of meeting any shady, lowballers or strange individuals from the internet for the transaction.
Worked out great for me recently. Nice, easy, fast and people that I know and trust.
Just a suggestion.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Make a video of you packing the box and adding the bubble wrap or foam and clearly show that the iPhone is in an uncracked condition, so if they do ask for a refund or start a claim, you can show PayPal proof that it was unbroken and you had taken steps to prevent this and that this was not ur fault.

Another good place to sell/trade would be celltraderonline. I use that site most of the time.

That won't work as it won't absolutely prove that it's the same phone as the one shipped. I sell about 3 phones a week on eBay and this far, have never had an issue. Make sure the item is insured and always use delivery confirmation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.