Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasman87

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Is there a way to sync a computer to an Apple TV to get the content without having the same apple Id or iTunes account?

Sorry I'm sure this has been answered but I cannot find the information anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Except for the original ATV you do not SYNC but STREAM. The ATV does not have any local storage. But you can stream from a local iTunes Server with Home Sharing. You only need the Apple ID if you want to stream from the Cloud (iTunes in the Cloud).

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Except for the original ATV you do not SYNC but STREAM. The ATV does not have any local storage. But you can stream from a local iTunes Server with Home Sharing. You only need the Apple ID if you want to stream from the Cloud (iTunes in the Cloud).

Technically the bit about not having any local storage is not true. The Apple TV 2 and 3 have 8GB of onboard flash memory. But you're right with the rest of what you say ;)

sorry to split hairs!

pac

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Technically the bit about not having any local storage is not true. The Apple TV 2 and 3 have 8GB of onboard flash memory. But you're right with the rest of what you say ;)

sorry to split hairs!

pac
I agree. To bad it can not be used like the 8,16,32,64GB storage in the other iOS Devices.

I would like to see an ATV with 64GB and an App Store.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Is there a way to sync a computer to an Apple TV to get the content without having the same apple Id or iTunes account?

Sorry I'm sure this has been answered but I cannot find the information anywhere.

If you want to be able to use iTunes Match for Music, or stream purchased iTunes TV & Movies direct from the cloud, then you have to use the Apple ID that you purchased them under. Also, for movie rentals, you need an Apple ID with a credit card (or gift card balance) connected.

If you only want to stream iTunes content that is already purchased and downloaded to iTunes on your computer, you can do this with Home Sharing. You have to set up Home Sharing with the same Apple ID on both the ATv and iTunes on the computer, but it DOES NOT have to be the same AppleID you use for purchases.

Personally, I want to use the same AppleID for Purchases, because I use both the ATV interface and the iTunes interface to buy things, and I want them all to be under the same account. However, if you prefer, you could set up different iTunes Store accounts in iTunes and ATv, but still use a common Home Sharing account. This would let you buy/rent from either device using seperate accounts, but still share the iTunes content to aTV. You would not be able to get content you purchased through ATV back to iTunes though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.