The iMacs aren't delayed (yet) - Stop saying they are - Page 3 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:57 PM   #51
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxira View Post
the clever bit
will them for sale on November 30 and to 2/3 weeks for delivery!
It will come out on November 31st and have a 1 year ship date.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:25 PM   #52
MissVader92
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderz View Post
It will come out on November 31st and have a 1 year ship date.
You do no there is no november 31st
MissVader92 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:42 PM   #53
Dduval
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVader92 View Post
I don't care who you are, that's funny!
Dduval is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:46 PM   #54
APPLE-FANATIC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
LOL!!! I had hoped he was just being funny.....now that you have mentioned it, uhmmmm, damn starting to question him, LOL
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:22 PM   #55
plucky duck
macrumors 6502

Question, was the 2011 iMac launch announcement and purchasable same day? In the history of Apple, is this the very first time such a scenario has happened? Parts shortage?
plucky duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:34 PM   #56
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
Semantics...

They were delayed before they were even announced. The GPUs, CPUs and chipsets that they will use are already 6+ months old. This is the longest gap in between releases in the history of the iMac. Even if you are able to walk into a Best Buy on November 30th and pick one up, which I'm guessing isn't going to happen, the iMac has been delayed.
Nope. The mx GPUs were only announced in October. Don't lie to try and prove your point.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:46 PM   #57
forty2j
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by plucky duck View Post
Question, was the 2011 iMac launch announcement and purchasable same day? In the history of Apple, is this the very first time such a scenario has happened? Parts shortage?
2011 & 2010 were quiet refreshes.

2009, the last redesign, had a small gap between announcement and availability.

2002 had a 3 month period where you couldn't buy an iMac because the old model was discontinued and the new wasn't ready to announce.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:37 AM   #58
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeb View Post
Nope. The mx GPUs were only announced in October. Don't lie to try and prove your point.
According to the tech specs - only in the high end 27" model you can get the MX GPUs. Every other model comes with GPUs released in March. Of course by the time the top end 27" ships even the MX will be ~ 3 months old.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:56 AM   #59
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
According to the tech specs - only in the high end 27" model you can get the MX GPUs. Every other model comes with GPUs released in March. Of course by the time the top end 27" ships even the MX will be ~ 3 months old.
Yes, but the point is that you cannot just make blanket statements like you did, which was not backed by factual information. I have not seen a product shipping with a 680 MX. Have you? Regardless, whether it will be 3 months or 2 months or 4 months, what does it really matter?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:45 AM   #60
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeb View Post
Yes, but the point is that you cannot just make blanket statements like you did, which was not backed by factual information. I have not seen a product shipping with a 680 MX. Have you? Regardless, whether it will be 3 months or 2 months or 4 months, what does it really matter?
The statement is backed by factual information and you corrected one thing. Just because I forgot about the 675mx/680mx, that is only available on the high end 27", doesn't make me a liar. That was out of line. All the chipsets, CPUs and GPUs other than the MX have been available for 6 months. Do you really think they were waiting on the those graphic chips before announcing?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:53 AM   #61
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That was the joke.

These iMacs exist as much as November 31st -_-
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:59 AM   #62
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Know, they don't.

I'll be here all weak.
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:37 AM   #63
forty2j
macrumors 68030

Quote:
The statement is backed by factual information and you corrected one thing. Just because I forgot about the 675mx/680mx, that is only available on the high end 27", doesn't make me a liar. That was out of line. All the chipsets, CPUs and GPUs other than the MX have been available for 6 months. Do you really think they were waiting on the those graphic chips before announcing?
They may have launched in July with the top being 680M instead of 675MX, if all the other stars were in alignment, but it probably would have resulted in a $100 price hike and given them nowhere to go for BTO. So while I don't think they've waited for the MX chips specifically, they certainly benefited from them; the Kepler pool was quite shallow without them.

P.S. - I challenge you find another desktop computer you can buy with newer components. Or are we only allowed to buy computers on Intel's architecture release day? Or is it Nvidia's? One way gets you 6-month old GPUs, the other gets you 3-month-old CPUs..
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:53 AM   #64
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
They may have launched in July with the top being 680M instead of 675MX, if all the other stars were in alignment, but it probably would have resulted in a $100 price hike and given them nowhere to go for BTO. So while I don't think they've waited for the MX chips specifically, they certainly benefited from them; the Kepler pool was quite shallow without them.

P.S. - I challenge you find another desktop computer you can buy with newer components. Or are we only allowed to buy computers on Intel's architecture release day? Or is it Nvidia's? One way gets you 6-month old GPUs, the other gets you 3-month-old CPUs..
I'm not saying there are newer components, my original point was that regardless of when they now ship the iMac revision has been delayed. Typically Apple has released revisions very close to when intel does, in the past they have even received parts before they have been formally released. In the case of the Late 2012 iMac,or is that now the early 2013 iMac , they won't be shipping until 6+ after they have been available to everyone else.

I just hope that this is not a trend with Apple that we will only get the latest technology 6 months after it is available at the earliest and 500+ days between refreshes. This release we are getting 6+ month old CPUs and now 8 month old GPUs (other than the MX - happy theSeb?) on the very first day they are available.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:12 AM   #65
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Do you really think they were waiting on the those graphic chips before announcing?
No, they have various reasons for the delays they've experienced. Most are probably related to manufacturing issues and production line priorities.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:15 AM   #66
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

No release today makes it look like 4 days until the announcement of a delay...

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:32 AM   #67
forty2j
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I'm not saying there are newer components, my original point was that regardless of when they now ship the iMac revision has been delayed. Typically Apple has released revisions very close to when intel does, in the past they have even received parts before they have been formally released. In the case of the Late 2012 iMac,or is that now the early 2013 iMac , they won't be shipping until 6+ after they have been available to everyone else.

I just hope that this is not a trend with Apple that we will only get the latest technology 6 months after it is available at the earliest and 500+ days between refreshes. This release we are getting 6+ month old CPUs and now 8 month old GPUs (other than the MX - happy theSeb?) on the very first day they are available.
A while back I compiled (and posted) the correlation between Intel chip releases and iMac releases. It's not as close as you might expect. A couple times it was the same month, and a couple other times there was quite a delay.

At any rate, I expect that this interminable wait is just due to the new design, so we shouldn't see fantastically "overdue" iMacs again until 2015-2016.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:26 PM   #68
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOPMedia View Post
Is there a "pro" version of windows that I don't know about which isn't mostly bloatware and advertisement software? If there is, I'm slightly interested. (To install on my new iMac which I will be ordering in November.)
Well, whatever the legitimate complaints are about various Windows versions that shouldn't really be an issue. Any boxed Windows off the shelf will be free from any junk that you're referring to. And even the cheap PCs you buy at the box store can be cleaned or rather re-installed with a stripped version.

I personally still like XP best since it is pretty straight forward, very stable and has very little eye candy. Win 7 is in that same category but slightly less so in my experience. More of the visual effects and stuff like that - not unlike OS X in that regard really - but that can be turned off as well. XP is not going to be supported by MS much longer - otherwise I'd have no reason to even be here.
Win 8 seems like utter junk.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:56 PM   #69
Lankyman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I personally still like XP best since it is pretty straight forward, very stable and has very little eye candy. Win 7 is in that same category but slightly less so in my experience. More of the visual effects and stuff like that - not unlike OS X in that regard really - but that can be turned off as well. XP is not going to be supported by MS much longer - otherwise I'd have no reason to even be here.
Win 8 seems like utter junk.
With statements such as the above don't give up your day job eh!
Lankyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac