Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I tried running my library of a mac mini running server. The ATV could see the shared library but not connect. Is there something I need to open that isn't present on normal OS X?

I shifted the library to an iMac and instantly could access it. Any one got an idea what I missed on the server software? We can access the normal file shares with the other macs.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I know that when I set up my library on my server, I was seeing strange issues. What I had to do was go into the parent root folder that I had stored my iTunes folder within and then I had to adjust the permissions to allow read and write and then select to have the permissions propagate to all children folders. After the permissions were changed and set, then I could connect and share my files. The default settings were enabled prior and I had similar issues with my iDevices (i hope this helps some as of yet I haven't acquired an Apple TV, but am looking into it for air sharing purposes).

Hope this helps and good luck.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
OS X Server cranks the firewall up by default, make sure you have a hole poked in it for iTunes (or turn it off if it's a purely-internal-network server.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.