Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiquidMelon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
If someone you know has never touched an iPhone or and iPad and isn't really too sure what to do to make things work, this app is for them.

iconGrande.png

Name of App:
New User

Price:
$1.99

Link to app on the App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/new-user/id566973608?mt=8

Electa

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
So it's a $2 manual even though one already comes with the iPhone / iPad / iPod?

LiquidMelon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
yes. it makes you TOUCH the device. it makes you TAP buttons and switches. it makes you SLIDE your finger across the glass. it tells you why. it tells you what to look for. it shows you a screenshot for EACH step when explained in detail.

the manual doesn't do that, and if you have NEVER touched an iPad or iPhone before, how would you know how to read the manual. would you know where to look for it? or how to navigate thru each page? would you even understand the word "navigate?"

YOU might not need this app, but your mother/father/granny/grandad who got the device as a gift may not know what to do. this app is for them, not you.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
hmm how will one who needs this app go about buying the app...i mean they got to "swipe, slide, button press, etc" to navigate to the app store and then even buy the app that in turn teaches them how to "swipe, slide, button press, etc"

seems easier to just read the manual or learn by doing imo

LiquidMelon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
i bought my 88 year old granny an iPad 3. she has never used an iPad, let alone a computer. so when i told her to tap on an icon her first question was, "what's an icon?" after explaining what it was, she said, "ok, i tapped it. now the icon is wiggling." after i told her how to stop it from wiggling, she said, "ok, but now i have a black screen with a keyboard. where did that come from?"

this app was really made for her. but i know there are other people out in the world who have no idea what they are doing. have you ever tried to explain how to use an iPad to someone over the telephone? have you ever been to the apple store and talked to anyone waiting for one of their free classes? this app would probably answer some of their questions.

i'm not expecting everybody to rush out and buy this app for themselves. all i can ask for is that someone buys this app as a GIFT for someone else, or if someone installs it on someone else's device for that person.

something else, the Quick Start section has a giant button labeled: "iPad User Guide" - The official iPad User Guide can be downloaded from the bookstore and viewed in iBooks. It can also be found in Safari as a bookmark. An internet connection is required to view it. It explains everything about the iPad in great detail. Please take the time to look it over. With a required internet connection, you may also view the iPad user Guide from within this app.

once a noob has practiced how to tap, swipe and pinch well enough to read and navigate the rest of the manual, there it is...

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
i bought my 88 year old granny an iPad 3.

Yeah, and now she's on MacRumors b!tching about how the Mini isn't retina. So thanks a lot!

Pick two: :p :D :eek:

Regards,
Tom
p.s. I hope she doesn't actually read MacRumors; I'd feel just awful. :)

LiquidMelon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Version 1.2 was released this morning. There is now an info page allowing the user to:
-Email the Developer
-Gift This App
-Tell a Friend
-Rate This App

A big THANKS to everyone supporting New User. It's good to know your parents are finally getting the hang of their new device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.