Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Just because it is a bit old, doesn't mean there isn't some good life left in it yet (fingers crossed ;) )........

Been running a refurb 24", 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 2007 Aluminium iMac, more-or-less 24/7 for about 4 years, with no problems or hardware maintenance. My main computer, and a good machine for low-moderate level general use, including browsing and a media centre.

The factory hard drive finally (finally!) died, dead as a Dodo, with about 30 secs warning. Been expecting it for a while, and had a couple of up-to-date clone backups on 7200 RPM Hitachi drives.

Swapped one of them into the beast, and also gave the screen a good clean, and the internals (including the fan blades) a good de-dusting. The cleaning and de-dusting was the bulk of the time/labour cost, opening the machine was pretty easy, just follow the online guides.

(Actually, the LCD screen itself was fine, I just waved a clean micro-fibre cloth over it. But the screen cover, the one held on with magnets, was pretty dirty on the inside, so I gently washed it with a soft pure cellulose sponge and a bit of mild dishwashing detergent in warm water, then quickly dried it with a clean towel, and finally went over it carefully with the micro-fibre cloth.

Screen Cleaning Tip: Use brand new plastic garbage bags to cover the screen, or lay the inside of the screen cover onto. The bags both prevent dust getting to the surfaces, and tend to hold onto any dust when you take it off. Also do it in a still room, with doors and windows closed, and fans turned off. Plus clean hands.)

Very happy with the result. Running a lot sharper and cooler, and I had forgotten just how nice a screen it has after removing all the smudging and grime...

First HD vid I watched after cleaning was a 1080 version of David Attenborough's latest series, Africa. :) :) :)

Also, backups are your friend. I lost less than 24 hours of data in the process, none of it important. :)

Last edited:

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Did you also upgrade the processor? I know the 2007 iMacs can handle a Core 2 Extreme X7900 as a drop in part. They go for $100 on eBay.

I know this as I did a study whether or not it is worth upgrading a 2007 iMac. For me, it is worth spending up to $300 only before I should consider selling it towards a new/refurb iMac from 2011 or 2012. Some things you can upgrade but others you only get with a new Mac like USB 3, Thunderbolt, Bluetooth 4, SATA 6Gb/s, etc etc.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Did you also upgrade the processor? I know the 2007 iMacs can handle a Core 2 Extreme X7900 as a drop in part. They go for $100 on eBay.

I know this as I did a study whether or not it is worth upgrading a 2007 iMac. For me, it is worth spending up to $300 only before I should consider selling it towards a new/refurb iMac from 2011 or 2012. Some things you can upgrade but others you only get with a new Mac like USB 3, Thunderbolt, Bluetooth 4, SATA 6Gb/s, etc etc.

No, not really worth the trouble and cost for what I do – mainly just browsing, email, and a basic media centre. Also too many internal architecture limits, like bus/RAM/SATA speeds, USB 2, etc, to be mucking around much. Only so much you can squeeze out of them.

Only other change I might make is upgrade to a SSD, when 500 GB versions are a lot cheaper. In about a year maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.