Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddogsrfr81

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I currently have a mini and iPad2. I have been recently been coming into the issue of need more portability when working on sites and doing light graphic design. I have been debating MBA or MBP, but was hoping maybe there are some options on my iPad I missed. I know I could use Wordpress, but have gotten away from using it. Also, using logmein when wifi is available isn't the best solution.

Any help would be awesome.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I currently have a mini and iPad2. I have been recently been coming into the issue of need more portability when working on sites and doing light graphic design. I have been debating MBA or MBP, but was hoping maybe there are some options on my iPad I missed. I know I could use Wordpress, but have gotten away from using it. Also, using logmein when wifi is available isn't the best solution.

Unless you are just editing code it would be an exercise in frustration compared to a cheap used MacBook Air. How will you create graphic layouts, slice them and optimize them? How will you create buttons and otehr assets? The screen will be too cramped.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
No file management = No go with the iPad as far as web design/graphic design. Fairly certain you're going to need to save and edit files..something the iPad does a really poor job of. Files are "stuck" inside the app for which they are created.

For example, say you made a document in Microsoft Word but wanted to open it in OpenOffice. You couldn't open it in OpenOffice because only Word could "see" the file. The only work around for it is jailbreaking (requires some knowledge and experimentation) or applications that support uploading to 3rd party cloud services like Dropbox where you can then use another computer to access the file from the cloud.

iPad makes a great media, entertainment, gaming, browsing, social media device, etc. but it makes a terrible productivity device.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Stick with MBA or MBP. You are not going to be able to work properly or at all on an iPad. Refurb or used MBA or MBP will work great.

maddogsrfr81

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. Trying to not waste money on another toy. Been looking at the MBA and 13MBP. Either of these better for these tasks?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Thanks for the feedback. Trying to not waste money on another toy. Been looking at the MBA and 13MBP. Either of these better for these tasks?

From the benchmarks I've seen, the 13" MBA and 13"MBP are the same speed (The MBA's SSD makes up for its slower processor). I like how it has a higher resolution screen and isn't as glossy as the MBP.

However, for the budget friendly, I would get a 13" MBP then upgrade it to a SSD and up the RAM if you wanted.

But, if you don't want to tinker with all those upgrades, get a MBA.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No file management = No go with the iPad as far as web design/graphic design. Fairly certain you're going to need to save and edit files..something the iPad does a really poor job of. Files are "stuck" inside the app for which they are created.

For example, say you made a document in Microsoft Word but wanted to open it in OpenOffice. You couldn't open it in OpenOffice because only Word could "see" the file. The only work around for it is jailbreaking (requires some knowledge and experimentation) or applications that support uploading to 3rd party cloud services like Dropbox where you can then use another computer to access the file from the cloud.

iPad makes a great media, entertainment, gaming, browsing, social media device, etc. but it makes a terrible productivity device.

Textastic works just fine for editing code. You enter your FTP info, just like with any FTP program, and you see the site files, you download and upload just fine. It allows you to live preview your files with a browser. An image editing app which does FTP would be good as well; and in the sense of web design there is nothing wrong with your files being cloud-based; how do you plan on showing a non-local client their site without a remote server?

While I get what you're saying, if you have Word on your iPad, why would you try to use OpenOffice?

Apple could solve a lot of these issues with the equivilent of a local DropBox folder that all apps can access.

I would choose a used 13" MBA over a new 13" MBP (not rMBP) due to it having a higher res screen. The MBA is 1440x900 and the MBP is 1200x800.

Last edited:

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
You are way better off buying a Windows notebook for graphic/web design.
I have bought myself an Asus Netbook instead of a Mac.
If money isn't an issue, I would go for a 15 inch rMBP with a SSD to optimize your designing experience.
Bootcamp Windows for some apps ( if you need any ) which aren't available on the Mac.

I really DO NOT recommend getting an iPad for these things, the iPad isn't made for this, real work has to be done on a normal non-touch device unless you want to be the hipster and do ( if possible ) it on an iPad.

Good luck!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Since the kind of task you've outlined requires bouncing around through different apps, possibly cross checking on different browsers, I'd stick with a Mac.

Personally, I'd go with the MBA over the [non-retina ]MBP - the better portability, higher resolution display, OOTB SSD, etc. I would suggest 8GB RAM up front with an Air since you won't have the option to upgrade later, and your workflow could be pretty memory intensive.

maddogsrfr81

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I'm no hipster. By day a B2B sales rep for a tech company. iPad was a nice purchase as I can do most of my road with with just an iPad. I started doing freelance IT type things so I don't lose any of my skills. My Mini(i5 with 8gigs of ram) has been able to do all I need. Honestly since converting to all Mac I've been doing most my simple sites in sandvaux(sp) and pixelator. Been looking at MBA but how long will a ssd last.

thepud

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013

hey there! I am a graphic designer/visual designer. My work ranges from tradeshow booth design, exhibit graphics, web and marketing graphics. That being said, my average layout (if not web) is usually running in the 80"w - 400"w file. I was using an rMBP as my go to device for majority of my work. Lately, when on the go, I have been testing out the iPad 4 and remoting into my work computer (via splashtop). The experience has been okay. The stream over 4G is solid and has some slight lag. The performance is a bit choppy due to using a touch screen.

That being said, I love walking around and traveling with my Ipad. I use it to present work, display, note taking and remote edit if i need to. I have a bluetooth keyboard to do most of the mundane processes like changing tools and brushes.

Remember that this would/should be as a minimal use device. If you are going to do anything more than 20% of your work on your next purchase then I highly advise a Windows tablet or a Macbook pro or air. I am not a fan of the air. You will see when you get into heavy duty photoshop and edits - it will cause you some grief. The resolution also is not pretty to look at on it.

I purchased an air, returned it and got the RMBP.

My .02. Hope it helps and good luck.

maddogsrfr81

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
That helps a lot. I bought a new 13 MBA classic. It was the smart choice. Order some ram for 59 to get it to 8 gigs. Already done a few things and way faster than on iPad.

Thanks everyone.

thepud

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
That helps a lot. I bought a new 13 MBA classic. It was the smart choice. Order some ram for 59 to get it to 8 gigs. Already done a few things and way faster than on iPad.

Thanks everyone.

awesome...can you upgrade the ram on an air? congrats on your purchase. Remember...14 days to test it out and see if it works. :)

maddogsrfr81

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Airs cannot be upgraded. I like to mod, so classic MBP, swap ram and ssd(or one of those mixed ssd/ spinning drives) and it will be plenty overkill for me I'd imagine.

thepud

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Airs cannot be upgraded. I like to mod, so classic MBP, swap ram and ssd(or one of those mixed ssd/ spinning drives) and it will be plenty overkill for me I'd imagine.

ah. what I thought. your post says MBA = Macbook Air

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011

You can upgrade the ssd drive for the MBA. OWC has been selling them for a while now. The RAM is only upgradeable through Apple but the SSD can be replaced.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I wouldn't use an iPad for anything other than a mock up. I wouldn't actually be designing anything with an iPad.

maddogsrfr81

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I know it was a far stretch. If I would have left things in Wordpress I could have used the iPad. For whatever reason I prefer a traditional program like dreamweaver and code. I noticed I could have got by with using the iPad, but figuring work arounds was making things take longer. Even on things like making presentations and more detailed spreadsheets I was killing myself on the iPad. Now having a desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone everything has a purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.