Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1
imjoee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Should I buy right away?

Not sure if I should buy this year or buy next year. I'm in no rush, just want the best. I know the best comes out every year, I just want the best investment, not sure if I should spend my money now or wait. Making this discussion for tomorrow after the Air is announced. Just wondering if anyone knew any leaked info already. Thanks.
imjoee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Waiting another day won't kill you.

Is only an investment if by owning it, you can claim additional income derived directly from it THIS YEAR, otherwise it's an expense.

But everybody knows 2013 is the BEST INVESTMENT YEAR, we won't see another like it until the 22nd century.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:53 PM   #3
skaertus
macrumors 68020
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoee View Post
Not sure if I should buy this year or buy next year. I'm in no rush, just want the best. I know the best comes out every year, I just want the best investment, not sure if I should spend my money now or wait. Making this discussion for tomorrow after the Air is announced. Just wondering if anyone knew any leaked info already. Thanks.
Well, it depends on what comes out tomorrow. A new MBA should be announced, with Haswell. Note, however, that the MBA to be announced tomorrow shall carry the same design as the previous generation, and this design dates back from late 2010. The MBA will get a redesign sooner or later, and if it is not redesigned tomorrow, it will be in 2014.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5s | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:15 PM   #4
futureweber
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Should I get the new macbook air? or the macbook pro non-retina? I'm a student. I want an ssd and atleast 8bg+ ram
futureweber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:45 PM   #5
imjoee
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
Well, it depends on what comes out tomorrow. A new MBA should be announced, with Haswell. Note, however, that the MBA to be announced tomorrow shall carry the same design as the previous generation, and this design dates back from late 2010. The MBA will get a redesign sooner or later, and if it is not redesigned tomorrow, it will be in 2014.
im tempted to buy one, i have been saving since early last year, and have finally made enough. not sure if i should buy now.
imjoee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:47 PM   #6
neiltc13
macrumors 68040
 
neiltc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoee View Post
im tempted to buy one, i have been saving since early last year, and have finally made enough. not sure if i should buy now.
The new one just came out so now is the best time
neiltc13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:57 PM   #7
imjoee
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
The new one just came out so now is the best time
should i just wait next year? is the update worth getting?
imjoee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:14 PM   #8
xlii
macrumors 68000
 
xlii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millis, Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoee View Post
should i just wait next year? is the update worth getting?
Depends what you have for a computer right now. If your current machine is still getting the job done for you then you don't need a new one.
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:37 PM   #9
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoee View Post
should i just wait next year? is the update worth getting?
You have provided zero information on what you are 'updating' from nor what your requirements are.
TC25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:57 PM   #10
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureweber View Post
Should I get the new macbook air? or the macbook pro non-retina? I'm a student. I want an ssd and atleast 8bg+ ram
well - the airs are SSD only and you can upgrade to SSD on the MBPs. both can have 8g RAM so basically it's up to you.

you could make a solid case for either for a student, but without more information about what kind of student you are or what your needs/wands are what do you want us to tell you?

best advice: go to the fruitstand and play with them yourself.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Sean Dempsey
macrumors 68000
 
Sean Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoee View Post
im tempted to buy one, i have been saving since early last year, and have finally made enough. not sure if i should buy now.
If it took saving for 12+ months to get enough money for it, I'd stick with whatever you have.

Or buy the base model for $999.
__________________
[Removed for not complying with forum signature rules]
Sean Dempsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:28 PM   #12
happyslayer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Glendale, AZ
I have the 2011 model 11" Air and I've been waiting and saving all year for the new model, I desperately want the better battery life! I just ordered the base model 11" with the additional RAM. (Upped it to 8 gigs.) So the base price was $1099.00. With AppleCare ($249.00) and Sales tax (Glendale, AZ $144.00) and the $10.00 power adapter converter (so I can use my old extra chargers.) and the shipping ($14.00,) it worked out to just over $1500.00. I hope that helps you decide.

You could skip AppleCare for now, I think, and just pick it up within the year--(Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that; that's how it used to be.) So your cost could be less.

But, for the extended battery life alone, I would definitely recommend you get the new model!
__________________
2013 11.6 Macbook Air-1.3GHz i5, 8GB, 128SSD ; iPhone5-16GB, black ; iPad Mini Retina, 32GB, black, VZ LTE
happyslayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:20 PM   #13
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoee View Post
Not sure if I should buy this year or buy next year. I'm in no rush, just want the best. I know the best comes out every year, I just want the best investment, not sure if I should spend my money now or wait. Making this discussion for tomorrow after the Air is announced. Just wondering if anyone knew any leaked info already. Thanks.
Are you looking for an investment or a computer to use? If you're looking for an investment, speak to a financial adviser.

If you want a computer to use, buy one.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:25 PM   #14
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
The new one just came out so now is the best time
Yes, we need some reviews by forum members to help the rest of us find out what it's like in real life. The keynote presentations are admittedly biased.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:38 AM   #15
imjoee
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
You have provided zero information on what you are 'updating' from nor what your requirements are.
Well we have 2 iMacs, they are both used by the entire family, but I was looking for my own computer for easier use and photo editing. The iMac now is workable for my needs but id like to move on. I want to get it now but I have a feeling a redesign of the air next year will be worth editing for
imjoee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:51 AM   #16
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoee View Post
Well we have 2 iMacs, they are both used by the entire family, but I was looking for my own computer for easier use and photo editing. The iMac now is workable for my needs but id like to move on. I want to get it now but I have a feeling a redesign of the air next year will be worth editing for
Odds are the Air will be updated every year so it depends on how long you want to wait.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC