Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:08 PM   #26
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Sad thing is ... I bet more than half of the negative posters were from adults.

As a grow man, if I hung out in front of a school and starting teasing and verbal bullying underage kids/teens, you better believe somebody would do something about it. I might get charged with some type of harassment.
If your kid isn't mature enough to be on the Internet you have the option of restricting them from using it as a parent.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:30 PM   #27
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
If your kid isn't mature enough to be on the Internet you have the option of restricting them from using it as a parent.
Parental control is for probably 11 and under. Once a kid become hits middle school they are smart enough to get access to something one way or another. Parents need to be geeks themselves to truly understand how to limit access, and most parents are not geeks. Also, plenty of times there's no indication of someone going through something until the end result happens. People in general are extremely good at hiding their feelings.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 04:17 PM   #28
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Parental control is for probably 11 and under. Once a kid become hits middle school they are smart enough to get access to something one way or another. Parents need to be geeks themselves to truly understand how to limit access, and most parents are not geeks. Also, plenty of times there's no indication of someone going through something until the end result happens. People in general are extremely good at hiding their feelings.
Take their laptop away or pull the Ethernet plug from the desktop at home. Problem solved.

Better yet, change the wifi password.

The problem today is that parents don't have any balls. Their kids run their lives.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 05:11 PM   #29
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Take their laptop away or pull the Ethernet plug from the desktop at home. Problem solved.
Your forgetting smartphones, tablets, friend's devices, school & public computers, and etc: Any teen will find a way.

Quote:
Better yet, change the wifi password.
Chances are the router user and password are default. Simply connect to router with ethernet, type in default user and password and enter the router settings which will display the wifi password.

Quote:
The problem today is that parents don't have any balls. Their kids run their lives.
The real problem is kids are always slick and will find a solution.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:53 PM   #30
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Your forgetting smartphones, tablets, friend's devices, school & public computers, and etc: Any teen will find a way.

Chances are the router user and password are default. Simply connect to router with ethernet, type in default user and password and enter the router settings which will display the wifi password.

The real problem is kids are always slick and will find a solution.
Thats what the belt is sitting on top of the washer for.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 08:34 PM   #31
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Thats what the belt is sitting on top of the washer for.
That's sure didn't stop me from doing what I want.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:10 PM   #32
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Perhaps if the government/teachers/parents took responsibilities for their actions, then perhaps the kids growing up might learn about accountability.
Odd that you place parents last on that list and not first.

Whenever I see stories online about teen suicide I wonder why they always feature teenage girls bullied online. Boys commit suicide about 5 times as often as girls [in Ireland, other countries may vary] but I never see any media coverage for it or for old fashioned person to person bullying. I guess the internets makes a more interesting story instead of really focussing on the people involved.
unlinked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:39 AM   #33
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
Odd that you place parents last on that list and not first.

Whenever I see stories online about teen suicide I wonder why they always feature teenage girls bullied online. Boys commit suicide about 5 times as often as girls [in Ireland, other countries may vary] but I never see any media coverage for it or for old fashioned person to person bullying. I guess the internets makes a more interesting story instead of really focussing on the people involved.
The list was not in order of significance. The point is people are no longer responsible for their own actions.
Absent parents.
Governments always blaming the last government for all the mess.
Teachers who lets face it took the job for the holidays, not because they give a dam about the kids.
I agree with your comments regarding the media. I'm not aware of the statistics, but some cases will always get more coverage than others. Sadly this just devalues some life's more than others.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:47 AM   #34
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Frankly, most adults tolerate antisocial behaviour on the web mostly because it doesn't happen to them. It is only when a loved one (or even themselves) is hurt that people begin to wake up and smell the coffee. Indeed, adults in the UK tolerate physical bullying of kids (after all they're 'just kids'), but the same actions in adults would be counted as assault and the punishment would be jail time. I'd be willing ot bet a lot of violent criminals in the UK started out as bullies and learned tha there actions had no consequences when they were kids.

Cyberbullying is not about censorship, for no right is absolute, even free speech. Our rights do not extend to the point that they harm somebody else. I'd prefer that sites not be forced to shut down, but I think there should be some form of moderation, rather like what we see here in MR when a post can be reported.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:25 PM   #35
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

BTW, just saw this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...o-herself.html
Old Aug 12, 2013, 03:24 PM   #36
sviato
macrumors 68000

I haven't read too much into this but this girl [allegedly] was consistently bullied on this site and that lead to her suicide. Are we living among a generation of masochists? If some anonymous people are talking smack to me to the point that I feel hurt, I would just log out and not go to that website. Seems that she kept going and taking it for some reason.
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues