Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
To OP:
I like the idea and would definitely buy one (Version 2) if you were to start selling it. I like the brushed aluminum look and would probably have it painted/anodized black to match the phone. :D

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
To OP:
I like the idea and would definitely buy one (Version 2) if you were to start selling it. I like the brushed aluminum look and would probably have it painted/anodized black to match the phone. :D

Oh lord... the guy is making this in his garage... not to put him down, but there are a million and 1 companies already making the same exact product and have been for years. They have the marketing, the production, and the know-how. Just because they don't post their half-baked after school prototypes for all to see doesn't mean this guy made anything new or revolutionary, this guy isn't reinventing the wheel, he copied what's been done over and over, research it.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Oh lord... the guy is making this in his garage... not to put him down, but there are a million and 1 companies already making the same exact product and have been for years. They have the marketing, the production, and the know-how. Just because they don't post their half-baked after school prototypes for all to see doesn't mean this guy made anything new or revolutionary, this guy isn't reinventing the wheel, he copied what's been done over and over, research it.

The difference is, I trust a guy making it in his garage a lot more than something that comes straight out of another country. I think his would be much better quality than any others that I see. I like to support an American Made product when I can.

douglascs83

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
Double battery w/ rapid charger

Has there been any progress in this area? I would like to see an option for the iphone 5 as well. Maybe even with the old iphone power port on the extended part. I wasn't sure if anyone on here also does mods like OSUengineer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Yupp at a 6.7c (10amp) charge rate a 1.5Ah battery would take 10 minutes to charge. I would probably say 5c would be wise for battery safety since lipo batteries can be dangerous. I have found some that can go up 15c which would be 22.5 amps for a 1.5Ah battery and a 4 minute charge time as long as you have an RC hobby style charger that can handle it. I am thinking the back would have a completely separate low profile plug that would connect directly to the battery.

What about inherent charging inefficiencies and I bet apples charging algorithm would not permit a charge rate of 10 Amps. The phone changes its equivalent resistance to decrease current as the battery approaches full (i.e. it senses the potential difference between actual charge amount and 100 percent fully charged and decreases current as it approaches full charge and assuming it has pasted 80 percent.)

douglascs83

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
I am thinking of fabricating a replaceable external battery pack (Xbox 360 recharge pack) that I can snap to the back of my phone. I plan on cutting the back of a controller where the pack clicks on and glueing it to my phone with wires that will tie onto the factory battery. I don't know what all will be involved and have a lot of work ahead of me. If anyone has any ideas/tips/tricks, I look forward to hearing them.

iAdden

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2013
Hi I am an engineering student at OSU and wanted more battery life while studying and pulling all nighters on my iPhone 4. So I added a second battery!

I had to fab a new back for the phone but the upside is the back it now aluminum and doesn't need a back cover, just maybe a bumper so it is smaller than if it had an otter box. Here is the final product! It looks a little jankey but I did make it with a dremel, a file, a hammer, and some stong epoxy. Let me know if you have questions or would like me to make one for you! It is fully reversible for warranties as well. It gets about twice the battery life as the original. Enjoy!

Edit: The start of version two are the last two!

I think this is a genius idea. Although the aesthetics might not be all there, this is one time I prefer performance over aesthetics. I would love to buy one of these from you. Please send me a message. iadden@hotmail.com

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I think this is a genius idea. Although the aesthetics might not be all there, this is one time I prefer performance over aesthetics. I would love to buy one of these from you. Please send me a message. iadden@hotmail.com

I doubt he will react as his last activity was more than a year ago….

Besides that it is never a good idea to post a private email address on an open board.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
While I appreciate American ingenuity I don't see this every going anywhere as it's already been more than a year and a half. You could get the RichardSolo Power Case For iPhone 5 today for $50 and it more than doubles your battery time. No need to keep checking this thread to see if this will ever come into production.

jjsap

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
2 litihium ion batteries in parallel

Hi,

Saw this mod, and would really like to do it. Can you write a quick explanation step by step how to do this??

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
The OP hasn't been around in over a year apparently. Perhaps it would be wise of you to skim through the thread next time. ;)

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I really like this! Not being able to get an extended battery has always been my least favorite thing about the iPhone. Looks pretty darn good for not having a factory at your disposal!

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I really like this! Not being able to get an extended battery has always been my least favorite thing about the iPhone. Looks pretty darn good for not having a factory at your disposal!

Just buy something like a mophie case. This post started up quite a long time ago

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Just buy something like a mophie case. This post started up quite a long time ago

I haven't seen anyone have good luck with those, everyone I know that used one has had their battery go bad on the iPhone, I would rather have a dead battery than a ruined battery. (I dont really need one anyway, Im hoping the cydia tweak for battery boosting is updated for iOS 7 soon :D

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
OP, if you wanted the back cover to look more original, one idea is to make some sort of back extender that hooks on to the midframe of the iPhone and creates the necessary room for the battery mod. Then, you would simply hook the extender onto the midframe and then the original back onto the extender. This might also allow you to fit a third battery in there. I understand that some people might like the metal look, but I just wanted to offer up this extender idea to you.

----------

OP, if you wanted the back cover to look more original, one idea is to make some sort of back extender that hooks on to the midframe of the iPhone and creates the necessary room for the battery mod. Then, you would simply hook the extender onto the midframe and then the original back onto the extender. This might also allow you to fit a third battery in there. I understand that some people might like the metal look, but I just wanted to offer up this extender idea to you.

Also, if you were to go with this extender idea, you could potentially create the same battery mod for the iPhone 5, 5C, and 5S. All you would have to do is create an extender for the iPhone 5 series, but rather than extending the back you would have to extend the front screen. Probably not easily done but definitely something I would pay for.

BWC1

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
Battery is worst on my Iphone 6 then any other

Hi I am an engineering student at OSU and wanted more battery life while studying and pulling all nighters on my iPhone 4. So I added a second battery!

I had to fab a new back for the phone but the upside is the back it now aluminum and doesn't need a back cover, just maybe a bumper so it is smaller than if it had an otter box. Here is the final product! It looks a little jankey but I did make it with a dremel, a file, a hammer, and some stong epoxy. Let me know if you have questions or would like me to make one for you! It is fully reversible for warranties as well. It gets about twice the battery life as the original. Enjoy!

Edit: The start of version two are the last two!

Can you add on to the Iphone 6?? Apple is a great device but the worst battery on every model it gets worst

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.