Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:15 AM   #1
mindblah
macrumors newbie

Help needed: Mavericks installation stuck in loop

Right off the bat I'll admit it was stupid to jump into trying to install Mavericks to the only partition without having taken adequate precautions (no backups or recovery disks), but unfortunately it's done. (the failed installation attempt, not the installation itself!)

I'm on a mid-2011 MBP that was running Lion. I attempted to install Mavericks DP from the installer on my HD. The system rebooted and the installation started, but after 1 minute into the estimated 43 minutes for the installation to complete, I get an "Install Failed" message: "OS X could not be installed on your computer. The OS X upgrade couldn't be started because the disk Lion DP GM is damaged and can't be repaired. After your computer restarts, back up your data, erase your disk, and try installing again. Click Restart to restart your computer and try installing again."

Restarting just repeats the process and the same problem recurs. I went into "Disk Utility" from the Installer's menu, and trying to verify the offending volume returns "This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk". Unfortunately the "Repair Disk" option stays greys out.

Is there any way I can "revoke" the installation process (via the Terminal perhaps?) and get back to my previous set up with Lion (without losing data, obviously), so I can start over the right way this time?

Any advice is appreciated.
mindblah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
allusis
macrumors newbie

Installation failure recovery.

Check out the apple release notes for the developer preview.

http://adcdownload.apple.com//Mac_OS...lease_note.pdf

I hope that helps!
allusis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
I had the same issue (Only with Lion) and I had to reset PRAM.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Hopefully this will work for you too.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:44 PM   #4
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindblah View Post
Right off the bat I'll admit it was stupid to jump into trying to install Mavericks to the only partition without having taken adequate precautions (no backups or recovery disks), but unfortunately it's done. (the failed installation attempt, not the installation itself!)

I'm on a mid-2011 MBP that was running Lion. I attempted to install Mavericks DP from the installer on my HD. The system rebooted and the installation started, but after 1 minute into the estimated 43 minutes for the installation to complete, I get an "Install Failed" message: "OS X could not be installed on your computer. The OS X upgrade couldn't be started because the disk Lion DP GM is damaged and can't be repaired. After your computer restarts, back up your data, erase your disk, and try installing again. Click Restart to restart your computer and try installing again."

Restarting just repeats the process and the same problem recurs. I went into "Disk Utility" from the Installer's menu, and trying to verify the offending volume returns "This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk". Unfortunately the "Repair Disk" option stays greys out.

Is there any way I can "revoke" the installation process (via the Terminal perhaps?) and get back to my previous set up with Lion (without losing data, obviously), so I can start over the right way this time?

I would think you can reboot holding down option and pick the recovery HD. Hopefully the FIRST thing wiped during a Mavericks install is NOT the recovery HD and you can get Lion back using recovery. Once you have Lion back, I suggest you resize Macintosh HD using Disk Utility and create a test partition to install Mavericks. It will install just fine on an empty partition. I know because that's what I did. I used a USB disk and created 2 test partitions on the thing and put 10.9 DP on one of them. It boots fine. My Macintosh HD is untouched. I also named my target partition Mavs so there was no chance I would pick the wrong "Macintosh HD" to install 10.9 on.

I have 2 continuous backups and one occasional backup. I use Time Machine to a Time Capsule over the network. I use crashplan, but mostly to back up my documents. Lastly, I use CCC whenever I'm doing a drive upgrade or migration. If 2 out of 3 of these should blow up, hopefully the third one provides recovery of much of my data.

Good news! In the release notes it says reinstallation from the recovery partition is NOT supported. Hopefully this means DP1 leaves the recovery partition alone and you can use it to get back to your previous OS. Looks like you may have lucked out on this.

Last edited by r0k; Jun 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:18 PM   #5
cactus26
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindblah View Post

I got same exact problem, can you please share your solution? if you got it fixed.

Thank you..!
cactus26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)